• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reprecussions of Mistreatment

zout

Wow - what a title. I had built 3 M38A1's a while back and one of them was tossed off to the side and donated to CAMO for parts. The other two Deb owns and Dinger65 owns.

Several months back someone comes into my office and tells me his transmission sounds like a box of rocks. I will not tell you how non-mechanical this individual is nor care for mechanical stuff - it either goes or does not - it either brakes or it hits something trying to stop.

He was headed to the Waffle House for his am wake up call - going like a Bat out of H - and he had no concept the transfer case was in LOW RANGE - this was a brand new rebuilt engine BTW. SO he calls me on the phone and all I can tell him is - ya better wrecker it home cause you are dead in the water.

I might not get to the drivetrain before the rally - but I did manage to get his jeep hauled back here to my house and will just work on it as I can (that is non-commander warp speed for ya newbies) as anyone that does this and does not pay attention has less attention from me than when we began.

BUT - the good news is - I get to take MORE pictures of a totally fubared M38A1 total rebuilt trans and transfer case that had been run to destruction - now that is COOOOOOOOL.

Zout headed outside to try to push the jeepy to the crest of the hill - jump in and hope his brakes work before I get to my garage - pics to follow

o1951

zout;[B said:
1424183 Several months back someone comes into my office and tells me his transmission sounds like a box of rocks. .[/B]
Hey Z - what happened with it in the intervening months?

I hope you did not do the rebuild. I once had similar happen - was so pissed, told guy to find someone else to fix it.

zout

01951 - it just sat - rotted - absolutely nothing happened to the M38A1 that I built and someone self destructed.

Got some misc stuff done on the M909 and headed to the garage - got some stuff loaded up in Debs jeep for the RALLY that I cannot wait till it gets here mood.
Looked over and kept thinking what exploded in that jeep so:
Drained the transfer case - no metal or chunks
Drained the trans - no metal or chunks
I did get cups full of water from both cause he is probably tarping just the seats and leaving the shifters wide open to mother nature.

I am charging the brand new battery as the cables on the posts were looser than a goose and it was dead (did I mention this as well is a new 4HN Exide 24v battery)
Going to see if I can fire it up - chuck it into gear and see where I hear the noise coming from - my bets are on the front differential at this point - we'll see.

Jeep looks absolutely pitiful from when I got done with it and handed it overPhoto2928.jpgPhoto2930.jpgPhoto2931.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OH!! OH!! I know where there is a COMPLETE front axle with lockouts if ya need it?? Let me know Bro...I'll give ya the same price you gave me.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
some guys and gals just dont get it... gas and brake and fill up that gas tank. other than that were is the radio..... oh well the jeep is in good hands now

zout

Got fuel in it - battery charged and posts tightened down after cleaning. Checked fluids and fired it up to see what he was hearing. All I hear is a high pitch gear sound - just like a bendix still engaged and spinning with the flywheel. Shut it down and proceeded to pull the Gen and starter out of it. The first clutch piece was also jammed in along the piece I cannot break free. Needless to say this all was brand spanking new clutch - pressure plate - throwout bearing - new fork and a turned flywheel.

It is surely nothing but schrapnel inside that bellhousing now. Now that I know what is wrong I can proceed at my own pace after the 2013 Georgia Rally.Photo2932.jpgPhoto2933.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a piece of the bell house dust cover if the Jeep even has one. No doubt you will bring it back to like new condition. That is what the Commander always does.

:beer:

zout

After work I got all the engine hook ups disconnected and floor pans removed - this includes draining the radiator - motor mounts - all that remains are the bellhousing bolts and jerk it out far enough to do the clutch work. I bet you see pictures off all the destruction coming soon.

I let a friend borrow my cherry picker and he will be dropping it off later tonight - after the bellhousing bolts and move it forward (yes grill is dropped and coolant drained) then wait till the owner forwards over some cash for all NEW components, This is with very direct instructions - this is the LAST TIME. NO MORE. I am sick and tired of seeing my labor take a royal piss and it does not come with a Crown Royal Cap with it.

I will post pics of the debris once the engine is pulled forward enough to stuff a clutch - pressure plate- new fork- replace flywheel or if it can be turned I will but I highly doubt it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Do you need a cherry picker, I could bring one, the same one that set the gun ring

Last edited:

zout

Seeing as its a crappy day out up here @rain - and I disconnected all but the bellhousing bolts last night - I'll try to get this done today and get the engine slid out far enough to get at the clutch assembly - I was even too lazy to pull the grille assembly out yet unless I really have to. I can just imagine what it looks like inside that bellhousing.

Did finish up Debs jeep last night as well with the new single wire CAT 24v alternator - and its charging awesome so this should be good to go for the rally.Photo2934.jpgPhoto2935.jpg

zout

Less than 200 miles on the jeep that had a brand new clutch disc - pressure plate - throw out bearing - turned flywheel.
Here is what it looks like today with the engine out of the hole and pressure plate unbolted - center of the disc stayed in and that was all - the pile of rubble is the remainder of the clutch disc Photo2937.jpgPhoto2938.jpgPhoto2939.jpgPhoto2940.jpg

o1951

??? :cookoo:

Were they doing hill climbs or mudding with it?
Looks like the clutch was allowed to slip to the point of total destruction.

When the clutch started to overheat, there would have been lots of acrid smoke all over. Hard to picture anyone continuing to operate it, much less be able to breathe.

I do not get it. Sure would like to hear their story.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Z, are any of those titles in your sigline for sale or sold(please indicate if so)?