• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repurposing Mep002A/ Mep003A Engines

cnicholls

I ended up buying a lot of 4 MEP Onan Engines a few years back.
I have one 002a and three 003a engines.

All appear new with green paint and all the openings plugged. I originally bought them because I needed to power a hydraulic pump for a small excavator I was repowering.
I am currently building a bandmill for reclaiming 50 or so standing dead ash trees that the ash borer left me on my property in Ohio. Most small sawmills need 7/20 hp so this would be a good fit.

However I have come up short on finding a way to couple the engine to a stub shaft. I have googled for a few days and have come up short.
This is what I have gathered (that was important to me) from measuring the engines. this site and others

Engine Specs
  • Weight: 690lbs

• 3.50" bore
  • Counter clockwise rotation
  • Engine overall dims: 34 L x 22 wide x 28Hi

Bellhousing

• SAE #4 bellhousing
  • Bell housing Od: 15 7/8in
  • Bell housing ID: 14 1/4 12 studs 3/8 studs
  • Bolt circle: 15in

Flywheel (probably not a SAE standard)

• 12 3/8" OD
  • 8 bolts - 10 1/8in bolt circle - 4 sets of dual bolt holes

If anyone has any input on how to adapt the engines to a straight shaft/or pulley/sprocket I would be very greatfull.

Also, advice like "sell the engines and buy something else", I have read enough of those opinions on these forums thanks, I have already read your point of view.
I am a skilled fabricator feel confident that I can overcome the challenge.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would put a piece of 3/8 plate on the circle burner and make an interface plate to mount to the flywheel. Then weld a stub shaft to the center for your PTO.

cnicholls

NDT: I fear that will be my only option as well. Laying it out by hand is tricky to get the stub exactly centered. I have been working on building a cnc plasma cutter, this project may have to wait until I can get the cnc done.

Grimpyrobb: I believe I found that project on youtube. I contacted him a few years ago, he was lucky enough to have a junk Gen Head that he cut down.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What about a 2nd flywheel? If you were to find one could it be machined to have a pulley welded/bolted on?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks