• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Request photos of an M1008 parking brake assembly

dao

I'm hoping someone can get under their dash and snap some good pictures of their parking brake assembly...engaged...not engaged. With the M1008 I purchased, the foot brake lacks the spring that keeps it raised up when not engaged. I've glanced at my assembly and then compared it to the pictures in the parts manual, and I see little resemblance. So, I think a photo or two would really help me to know for sure whether a previous owner has really monkeyed with this thing.

The problem I'm experiencing is that when the handle is pulled to release the brake, my pedal doesn't spring back up fully the way it should. It only comes up part way and the brake light never goes out.

Last edited:

dao

Awesome. I'm adding a picture. After taking a really close look, it may be the correct assembly...maybe it just needs to be properly adjusted somehow. I thought it was missing a spring or may had been a donor assembly from another vehicle.

Attachments

sneekyeye

You may just have rusted up cables or the mechanism. Is it engaging and releasing the drum brakes when you press it and pull it up manually?

cucvrus

004.jpg
You may just have rusted up cables or the mechanism. Is it engaging and releasing the drum brakes when you press it and pull it up manually?
I agree. It is time to replace the cables. It is a doable job. It is an interesting job if you are inexperienced. Cut the cable under the dash and with a straight screw driver break the 3 sprag ears off the cable lock where it goes into the engagement mechanism under the dash. I use a good Knipex cutter and chew thru the old cable housing. Pliers like I pictured are helpful. But not needed if you are going to replace all 3 cables. That is what I would do and recommend. I think the Wheel Base is 131.5 on the pick up. You will need that information to purchase all the cables correctly. About $75. for all 3 and a new connector. Report back. And remove the mechanism and clean and grease it really well. It is only 3 bolts/nuts and the release handle easy job in your face on the bench. Good Luck. DSCF3832 (1).jpgDSCF3996.jpgI just done 3 of them. The first one was a bigger challenge. But easy after that. Terminus M109 had no E brake since I owned it. It would hang up every time. I would reach under and pull the cable and the brake would release. front cable was bad. Cut and snip. Release and done.

dao

Thank you for the quick responses and pictures. Yes, the brake engages fine and holds the truck on inclines. When the release handle is pulled, it releases the foot pedal but the pedal doesn't come up all the way, but rather hangs low...thus keeping the brake light in the instrument panel lit up. I will inspect the cables beneath and possibly replace all cables. I'll report back. Thanks again.

dao

So, I went to order the parts from LMC once I saw mine were really rusted up, but for the rear brake cables I need to know whether the M1008 has 13" brakes or 11 5/32" brakes. Can someone help with that? I've checked the TMs and didn't find it. Items 2 and 3 in the diagram. I would imagine they are the larger 13", but want to make sure.

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

So, I went to order the parts from LMC once I saw mine were really rusted up, but for the rear brake cables I need to know whether the M1008 has 13" brakes or 11 5/32" brakes. Can someone help with that? I've checked the TMs and didn't find it. Items 2 and 3 in the diagram. I would imagine they are the larger 13", but want to make sure.

View attachment 707167
I was under the impression that LMC does NOT sell parts for C or K 30 series trucks. I would go to a parts store and get the correct parts. Why chance it with a guess if the K20 parts are the same. They may be the same. But buying the correct parts the first time is best. A 131.5 " WB K30 with the 13" brakes. Or do it your way. Mine was only a suggestion. Have a Great Day. hey I never added the 30 series. They could be the same but why chance it? I look back and the front cable was $22. and the rears were about $22. each. Good Luck. I would like to know about the rear cables.

Last edited:

dao

Thanks for the super quick reply. I've ordered all associated parts through LMC. When they come in, I'll compare them to what's installed then do the job if everything matches. I'll report back. Many thanks.