• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resistor Bypass now won't start

SteveSkal

So last night I did the resistor bypass on my 84 1009 and right afterwards it seemed to have a little difficulty starting but it did in fact start and I let it run for a while, seemed to smoke more than normal though....and now this morning it won't start at all. Any ideas?

cpf240

Test the glow plug relay, make sure it is passing though the 12v supply to the glow plugs. Mine started failing not long after doing the resistor bypass. My guess would be that after years of use with ~24v or so coming into it, the contact surfaces of the relay are carboned up, and so the 12v supply can't push through it. I didn't pull apart the old relay when I replaced it, but I've not had a problem since!

SteveSkal

I'm still pretty new here but the relay is after the resistor bank (in stock configuration), so it would have only been seeing 12 volts normally anyway, right?

cpf240

I'm still pretty new here but the relay is after the resistor bank (in stock configuration), so it would have only been seeing 12 volts normally anyway, right?
Kinda sorta, I think... The resistor bank, in combination with the glow plugs, drops the voltage to ~12v. As the glow plugs fail, that voltage goes up.

As I said though, it was just my thoughts on what caused mine to stop passing voltage through the relay... it was energizing, but only passing ~3v, so I figured it was burned up contacts in the relay.

Ken_86gt

Steve- how did you do the resistor bypass? Before the mod you would have measured 24V on the wire feeding the solenoid when not activated. Now it should be measuring 12v as part of the mod is to move the source voltage wire to the 12v source.

SteveSkal

Steve- how did you do the resistor bypass? Before the mod you would have measured 24V on the wire feeding the solenoid when not activated. Now it should be measuring 12v as part of the mod is to move the source voltage wire to the 12v source.
Correct, I just disconnected the wire going from the 24 volt block and the other end to the relay and removed the resistor completely, re-used the one wire from the resistor and connected to the 12 volt block and back to the relay. I know I did that much right because the vehicle did start afterwards, just seemed like it was a little more difficult to start and was blowing a little more smoke than I had noticed previously. Just the nest day when I went to start it would just crank, I cycled the GP's a couple times and still would just crank. I've got the front 12 volt battery on a charge right now, want to be sure it's got enough juice. Could that be an issue if it is not at full strength?

tbearatkin

Check all your Glow plugs, check to make sure when you turn the truck on that you have 12 volts coming from your relay to the Glow plugs. If all you did was remove the resistor and hook it up to 12 volts then your issue is at your relay down to your Glow Plugs.

SteveSkal

Yay! Well tonight I actually DID change the GP Relay and then it started right up, no problems. Now I am seeing a leak from my fuel filter, I guess I have a new project LOL. I've heard a lot of people talking about a spin on filter, maybe I will look into that mod.