• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restitch Windows

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
As a f/u, I should have added he had a bunch of them AND his price was dirt cheap.

I'm kicking myself for not buying several of them to bring back out west with me.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As a f/u, I should have added he had a bunch of them AND his price was dirt cheap.

I'm kicking myself for not buying several of them to bring back out west with me.
I bought two of them. And used them to stitch up my HMMWV windows as well!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Once you get accustomed to the speedy stitcher, it's easy to make quality repairs with it. Best MV tool I've purchased to date. Cheapest too!

Typhus Concussion

Ok, sorry for taking so long to repost back to this thread. I got the windows restitched and it took quite some time.

I went by several custom auto shops as well as the boat canvas suggestion. All those shops told me no. They said their machine won't fit over the rubber trimming on the door.

I looked into hand sewing. I went and bought the sewing awl that was posted here. My concern with the sewing awl is that the hole it creates is much larger than the machine hole and if you don't line it up right, the holes will be too close and tear.

I thought about handsewing it, but once I got the needle threaded and into the first hole that wasn't going to be a good procedure.

At the end of the day, we got a sewing machine and with two people sewed the windows from the inside out. Inside of going over the rubber trim or in some suggestions, drilling out the rivets, sewing it and then redoing the rivets, we just went right below the original stitching to preserve the strength of the canvas and sewed it from inside the window.

I hope this helps!

Brad Z

Greetings All- finally got the HMMWV home from the lot. Among the first orders of business is to fix the stitching on the drives side door around the plastic window. It sounds like this is a common problem. Like others, we took it to the local top shop who wouldn't take the job because they wouldn't be able to get their sewing machine on it. I see reference here to a hand tool, but I see can't seem to find any instructions. Perhaps I should regret taking shop rather than home ec, but can anyone point to some basic instructions on making this fix? Thread type recommendations? Thanks!

ryanruck

Greetings All- finally got the HMMWV home from the lot. Among the first orders of business is to fix the stitching on the drives side door around the plastic window. It sounds like this is a common problem. Like others, we took it to the local top shop who wouldn't take the job because they wouldn't be able to get their sewing machine on it. I see reference here to a hand tool, but I see can't seem to find any instructions. Perhaps I should regret taking shop rather than home ec, but can anyone point to some basic instructions on making this fix? Thread type recommendations? Thanks!
If you've got a Harbor Freight nearby they have the quick stitch tool you'll need, $6. Item #91812, in the household items aisle. Comes with a big spool of thread. I used that on my windows and door skins.

Instructions on using it are pretty simple. I had never done it before either. Here's the video I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k40kKKCGyac

I would use the thread straight off the spool instead of putting it in the handle. Ensures you have enough for your run and saves some time.

It's not tough, just time consuming.

Jakob1944

I'm in the same boat.......I've got a blue tarp covering the hole to keep Kitty Katz out......I called the Jeep dealer and their reply was buy another door...........sure
The lady at Hobby Lobby store sold me some upholstery sewing thread that is "extra strong" nylon.....I just ordered the awl online

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks