• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restore fmtv rims paint or powder coat?

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While changing the blown out tire I noticed my wheel is a bit rusty and a bit rough looking. Is it recommended to paint it or to powder coat it? What kind of media blasting or stripping should be done first? Walnut shell, sand, etc...
And if one was like that I figured more would be. I was thinking of one by one stripping them apart inspecting the rim restoring it making sure the beadlock is mounted in the correct orientation relative to the ctis, doing like one every week or two until all 7 are done

Last edited:

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Powder is super nice looking especially after sand blasting, taking all the old paint off they look new. But powder coating is notorious for chipping from impact or just when you put the 20 nuts back on the split wheel. Obviously you can’t powder the studs so they’ll rust. And matching the color and sheen of the powder when you do get a scratch down to the metal you’re going to want to paint it with something. So there becomes the problem.
I’ve just use a high quality spray paint. Rust oleum professional in the tall silver cans semi gloss black.
flat holds the dirt to well. But after the tire is but back on with all the nuts is when I paint it coating the threads and everything of course masking off the tire. But and scratches or after the next tire removal just paint it again it’s always going to match and that paint in the sun I’ve seen it last 5 plus years without fading. Problem is it not a perfect paint job like the powder would be.
So just make the truck look so good nobody is looking at the wheels.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck finding any to do it for $25-30! 🤣
Just to blast and single stage powder from a company does all of our powder coating we do $150k with them annually and they would still charge me at least $250 per wheel and primer and the price goes up.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had all 7 of mine sandblaster and powder coated.
Well I guess I should clarify exactly what I did with my wheels.

I took my wheels to a powder coating company. They blasted the wheels down to the bare metal and prepped the wheels for coating. I had them powder coat them with the flat black.

Before assembling the wheel and tire, I scuffed up the face of the wheel with some Scotch Brite pads. After carefully assembling the tire and wheel together I cleaned the wheel face with some alcohol and painted the face with some flat black spray paint. After cleaning and rebuilding the CTIS valves and hoses, I painted the assembly with flat black spray paint and installed them onto the wheel.

After putting the wheel back on the truck I sprayed the wheel face along with everything on the wheel for another coat of paint on the wheel and to coat the threads and nuts.

If I have any issues with the finish I just get the raddle can out and spray a little flat black.

Overkill? Maybe. But It's been 2 years now and they still look great.

Well, I have to disagree with Keith, people look at the wheels...at least I do! They may not look close, but they look.

If no one looked at vehicles wheels, then that $4.62 billion aftermarket wheel industry would disappear. 🤪

BEFORE:
IMG_5787.JPEG
IMG_0954.JPEG

AFTER:
IMG_1513.JPEG

IMG_1503.JPEG

Well, I am a little OCD, though. 😁

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks great ! Do you always leave it parked in your driveway ? Are there any cameras facing your truck ?
Thanks. Always in the driveway, no where else to put it, yet. Many camera's, three camera's looking at the truck.

Several antitheft devices and hidden cutoff switches. Also I'm kind of known as a big gun enthusiast and a little 🤪.

Reworked LMTV

While changing the blown out tire I noticed my wheel is a bit rusty and a bit rough looking. Is it recommended to paint it or to powder coat it? What kind of media blasting or stripping should be done first? Walnut shell, sand, etc...
And if one was like that I figured more would be. I was thinking of one by one stripping them apart inspecting the rim restoring it making sure the beadlock is mounted in the correct orientation relative to the ctis, doing like one every week or two until all 7 are done
I used ultra Rustoleum Grill Paint. Works fine.

Third From Texas

I scratch the crap outta them in the brush, then I respray them with a Rustoleum rattle can.

Rinse/repeat

PC would be nice, but I've had a couple Baja cars with tube frames that were powder coated and when they chip and ding they're a bit harder to maintain the chips and touch up.

It's a mixed bag I suspect. Powder coat is more durable and pretty, but rims get dings (you'll have to change tires eventually, and there's not much chance it won't chip the coating when you do). But if I had the money and were building a mall-crawler for adventures at the KOA , I would certainly wantz teh shi-neez.

The cost factor rules it out for me, although it's not rocket science to DIY. A buddy of mine had an old stove in his backyard just to bake rims and small bits that he coated for his cars. You'll never be able to do anything else with the oven, though. Stinks to high heaven. I've pondered doing it for car parts, though. It's just a bit more work than paint when it comes to shooting. I have enough projects. LOL

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chucky what brand and size of box do you have behind your battery compartment?
I think 30 wide it was a tight fit ! Let me look back on amazinger and see if i can find them and always shop the amazon warehouse for these boxes i got them for half price cause someone else sent them back new in the box

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks