• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restored deep water ford system, now how do I know it works?

diesel_dave

I installed all the parts that GP removed and I think I got everything hooked up correctly. The question now is how do I know if it is working? When the valve is in "vent" or "deep ford" there is no air whatsoever coming from the vent line that is teed off to all the various components. I even tried to trick it by holding the sensor cup under a bucket of water but that did nothing. Anyone know what is going on here?

I'd like to make sure it works before finding out it doesn't by contaminating all of my various oils with water. I think either a bucket of water isn't deep enough, engine RPM at idle isn't enough to create any pressure, or I've hooked up something incorrectly. I could apply a few PSI of compressed air to the sensor cup hose and see if that does something if anyone knows how many PSI I should be aiming for? I can also try to give the engine some more RPMs and see if that's the issue since you probably won't be idling through a stream. And finally, I am pretty sure I hooked up the hoses correctly but I guess I may have made a mistake reading the somewhat confusing install guide.

Any help is appreciated.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a procedure in the TM for a vacuum test or something like that. I think you are ok if you put it back like it was. How many times will you use it? You test tomorrow does it work in 12 months?

diesel_dave

There is a procedure in the TM for a vacuum test or something like that. I think you are ok if you put it back like it was. How many times will you use it? You test tomorrow does it work in 12 months?
Yes, there is a pressure test but that only checks for leaks in the tubing. I am more interested in if the DWF CDR valve actually is working. How many times will I use it? Probably never. But much like the pistol I keep near my bed, I would like to know that it will probably do the job if the job ever needs doing. Plus, it was kind of a pain in the butt to get everything ordered, routed and installed so I'd like to know my efforts were not in vain.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there is a pressure test but that only checks for leaks in the tubing. I am more interested in if the DWF CDR valve actually is working. How many times will I use it? Probably never. But much like the pistol I keep near my bed, I would like to know that it will probably do the job if the job ever needs doing. Plus, it was kind of a pain in the butt to get everything ordered, routed and installed so I'd like to know my efforts were not in vain.
Doesn’t leak it works! You have the switch and the cdr so it works. The test is the same test the military uses to make sure it works

diesel_dave

So with some experimentation, I can answer all of the questions I asked. Thankfully, first of all, I did not hook anything up incorrectly because that would have been a pain to swap at the valve. Second, the engine apparently produces plenty of air pressure at idle. And third, no, submerging the sensor cup in a bucket of water is not enough pressure to engage the DWF CDR diaphragm.

I ended up applying like 1-2 PSI (didn't even register on the regulator dial) straight to the sensor cup hose that goes up to the CDR valve. This immediately generated a ton of bubbles in the water that stopped as soon as air pressure is removed from the sensor cup hose. With the valve in "vent" there are no bubbles either so that's good.

So, if you want to test yours, that is how I did it and it seems to work. Word of warning, I'd be very cautious about applying too much pressure to the CDR valve as it might damage the internal diaphragm. I started at zero and just BARELY turned up the regulator like 1/4 turn at a time until it started bubbling.

Video of the action:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks