• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoring Deep Water Fording Kit

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the process of restoring the DWF kit on my m1123. Most of it was left in place during demil, only the cdr valve and selector valve were removed, the lines were left in place but cut.

My problem is what I'm reading in the DWF instructions doesn't seem to match up with the lines/hoses that were left on the truck. There is a line running from the air filter housing to a tee, one end going to the power steering cap and other end cut off where the selector valve goes. Did they have the lines run wrong or am I reading the manual wrong? My understanding is the top connection on the selector valve goes directly the air filter housing (where pictured), the middle runs to the vent lines to the various components and the bottom goes directly to the CDR valve.

Picture of line that leads to a tee going to power steering and selector valve:

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 1.55.39 PM.png

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know nothing.
But the purpose of a fording valve is to pressurize the vent system, so things like the diffs, engine, hubs etc do not get water in them.
So I would think the connection to the air filter housing would go directly to the fording valve so the valve can control everything that would normally be connected to the air filter housing.
Unless there is some item that does not take well to being pressurized, then it would remain connected directly to the air filter housing.

Thumper580

My 1123 has the deep water fording setup. Parallel to the tall air intake stack there is a small diameter metal tube that connects to the DWF tubing. It goes through the fuel tank vent filter and is the vent for the fuel tank. Way above the 5' of water. The air to pressurize the system comes from the crankcase breather (round brass looking thing). Everything gets pressurized including the air filter cannister.

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1123 has the deep water fording setup. Parallel to the tall air intake stack there is a small diameter metal tube that connects to the DWF tubing. It goes through the fuel tank vent filter and is the vent for the fuel tank. Way above the 5' of water. The air to pressurize the system comes from the crankcase breather (round brass looking thing). Everything gets pressurized including the air filter cannister.
where does the vent line from your power steering cap run?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it would be difficult to pressurize the air filter canister, it is open to atmosphere.

owensexport

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a change at some point that is not documented, all of the trucks we have been getting have the power steering cap connected to the air cleaner line. This tee's into the fording selector valve vent position. It will not pressurize as shown in the fording kit and maintenance manuals.

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a change at some point that is not documented, all of the trucks we have been getting have the power steering cap connected to the air cleaner line. This tee's into the fording selector valve vent position. It will not pressurize as shown in the fording kit and maintenance manuals.
That’s how mine was when I picked it up. I changed it to match the manual and now I wonder if I should put it back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks