• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resurrecting a Military Blowtorch! With Video!!!!

M1key

Hello all,
I've been looking for a while for one of the Military's blowtorches. Issued sometime in the 60's or 70's. It was mentioned in some of the older gen set TMs. It's primary purpose was to preheat generator engines in the arctic (below -25F!). These pages were deleted in newer TM's (lost too many generator due to accidental fires I assume).

My search appeared to be over when I spotted this on ebay: (courtesey of ebay member blackmarble62461)

$_57 (1).jpg$_57 (8).jpg$_57 (6).jpg$_57 (5).jpg$_57 (4) - Copy.jpg$_57 (3) - Copy.jpg$_57 (2) - Copy.jpg$_57.jpg

HUNTER MFG CO., SOLON, OHIO
SERIAL # 13770
MODEL # SPX-2

Cleaned the whole thing up with carb cleaner and changed o-rings with the spare parts kit that was tucked away under the false bottom screwed on the bottom .

With the tank pressurized to the recommended max of 55 PSI it puts out 50,000 BTU's!

Designed to run on JP-4 Fuel, Regular Gasoline, and Arctic Gasoline. There is an adjustment wing nut that moves the generator closer or farther away depending on the fuel.
We were running Coleman (white gas) fuel in it for the test.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_BuBfCKAxw

Has anyone else seen one of these? Kinda hard to locate. Contacted Hunter, they requested photos, then told me they didn't believe they made it until seeing the pictures and had no info on it.

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That'd light a camp fire, that's for sure! Or cook your hot dog, roast a marsh mellow, or set your truck on fire, whatever you so desired! Thanks for sharing> Purdy amazing

TB58

That thing is amazing. Who in their right mind would hand that to a PVT and not expect everything in a two mile radius to be on fire?

Cantos

Hey guys,
this is a tool to weld, we in germany call the "Lötlampe" that means "welding light", it is a very old technic. I the early dieseltime the people use this tool to glow their traktorengines.

M1key

The hunt is on!
Well lets see since I'm basically a hoarder, I will not rest until I have at least 3 of one specific item. So I'm looking for 2 more at least!

But not when it comes to wives, 1 is more than enough!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks