• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Retry- Questions about M915A1

PorscheTech911

Hey I've got a few questions regarding the M919 or M919A1.

1. Do they have locking rear axles?
2. What model Cummins comes in them?
3. Anyone know of a good parts supplier for these?
4. Is it a good idea to add a second air tank for the breaks and wiper system so I don't run out at the worst moment? (down a big hill in the rain)?
5. How do these do for pulling commercial trailers occasionally?
6. I know they are old, but are they reliable enough for weekly/daily use?
7. What are some good things to do to get more out of the truck?

I'll probably post some more eventually, but thanks for the answers in advance!

Adam

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have the turbo NHC 250, I think that makes them a 290. If you want to use it daily, I would recommend just getting a used civi unit. Some of the parts are bound to be odd ball.

PorscheTech911

I've been doing some research since posting this, they have a Cummins NTC-400 not the 250 luckily. ( I could be wrong ) I'm thinking pretty seriously about buying one of these beasts soon. They are awesome for the price.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M915A1 is Big Cam III Cummins, 400 hp. No lockers in the Eaton rears. Already has extra air tanks and dual air system. Parts are at your local heavy duty truck supplier (Napa, et al). Will pull the crap outta civi and mil trailers. Seems to be reasonably reliable. Do a forum search for "M915A1" to see all Steel Soldiers members experiences. I love mine! Upgrade would be air ride rears.

PorscheTech911

I agree with everything you've said NDT, I have read just about everything posted here on them and am sold basically. The only thing I'm worried about is if it doesn't have locking rears, how does it do during the winter? I live here in Kansas City, MO and it does snow/ice quite a bit. Would it be better to convert over to super singles and run winter tires that way? Or does it do ok with the duellies?

Adam

PorscheTech911

M915A1 is Big Cam III Cummins, 400 hp. No lockers in the Eaton rears. Already has extra air tanks and dual air system. Parts are at your local heavy duty truck supplier (Napa, et al). Will pull the crap outta civi and mil trailers. Seems to be reasonably reliable. Do a forum search for "M915A1" to see all Steel Soldiers members experiences. I love mine! Upgrade would be air ride rears.
Do you or anyone else know who has one of these in good condition for sale? The last one on GL closed today at 5 for around $4555. I've got to get my CDL permit this week coming up, get the truck and practice, then get the full license. I'm hoping I didn't miss on the last few available for a while.

Adam

eldgenb

Ok looks like you edited for the 919, it has a big cam three 400hp or ntc400 has a cat 16sp semi automatic trans, like a manual with no clutch still have to shift. It does have detroits in the rears, they are not that great in the snow, you will want to change out the bias ply's for some traction tires like on this link. Hope that helps. You will want to add extra air tanks and especially an air dryer, they had a problem with moisture in the valve bodies of the tranny's.

PorscheTech911

Ok looks like you edited for the 919, it has a big cam three 400hp or ntc400 has a cat 16sp semi automatic trans, like a manual with no clutch still have to shift. It does have detroits in the rears, they are not that great in the snow, you will want to change out the bias ply's for some traction tires like on this link. Hope that helps. You will want to add extra air tanks and especially an air dryer, they had a problem with moisture in the valve bodies of the tranny's.
Thanks for the info and the tire suggestions! I'll definitely add the air tank and dryer.

PorscheTech911

You may have seen these, but just in case:
Steel Soldiers :: Military Vehicles Supersite

The TM is 9-2320-273-10, -20 etc.....a couple of pages shown below....
I actually just started reading these thank you! This archive of TM's is a great resource.

Also: On the tire suggestions, those seem too tall for pulling a trailer, is there another style I should be looking for? Are HMMTT wheels the only ones that will fit on these? I thought some meaty tires like that, but smaller and thinner would be better for hauling van trailers.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The 915 has a power divider that can be engaged when on slippery surfaces...it is engaged with a small lever in the cab...basically makes all wheels on the rear axles pull....not for high speed travel.
Do not use the jake brakes on slippery surfaces...the compression can cause the rear wheels to lock up putting the truck into a slide.

PorscheTech911

The 915 has a power divider that can be engaged when on slippery surfaces...it is engaged with a small lever in the cab...basically makes all wheels on the rear axles pull....not for high speed travel.
Do not use the jake brakes on slippery surfaces...the compression can cause the rear wheels to lock up putting the truck into a slide.
Excellent advice!

eldgenb

I actually just started reading these thank you! This archive of TM's is a great resource.

Also: On the tire suggestions, those seem too tall for pulling a trailer, is there another style I should be looking for? Are HMMTT wheels the only ones that will fit on these? I thought some meaty tires like that, but smaller and thinner would be better for hauling van trailers.
with the 400 and the low gearing that comes with the truck you will be able to get her up to 80 and still pull hells half acre behind you plus worst case scenario you have the pump on the 400 turned up a little you you will be in the 600 horse range in no time. The Hmmtt wheels a la carte do not fit, you will have to do a minimal amount of grinding on the front brake drums for clearance but just a little. You can fit any hub pilot wheel off of a commercial truck like an 18 wheeler or dump truck with skinny tires or wide base one's that are usually 22.5" or 24.5" which is what comes on the truck to begin with. What you lack in towing ability will be rewarded with increased speed and improved efficiency when empy or a light load. just my .02

skark_burmer

The one that closed today in Ohio had a Big cam 2 and Allison transmission.
I think the big cam 3 was in the A2 models, but i am reading conflicting information. Also the Cat 16 speed only came in the 915, the A1 and later models had the Alison.
Again, the information i am seeing on these trucks is 75% the same thing, with 25% saying something else.

PorscheTech911

Ive had the same problem too when looking for information, some of it is pretty jumbled and inaccurate. You guys here have had the best information so far. Thanks again! Now does anyone know where to buy one of these when GL doesn't have any available?

Adam

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This advise applies to any driveline brake, be it Jacobs type, hydraulic, exhaust, electric, driveline hand brake (deuce), "pinion" or the closed throttle (gas engine), you are braking via the differentials, so if, for example, one side gets traction that tire will continue to turn, while the other side (on slippery surface) will turn in the opposite direction. The driver may lose control...

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inter-axle differential lock will make it act more like a deuce or 5-ton in the snow. Better than not having it at all, but not really great, either. Chains and weight on the 5th wheel are your best friend.

eldgenb

Ive had the same problem too when looking for information, some of it is pretty jumbled and inaccurate. You guys here have had the best information so far. Thanks again! Now does anyone know where to buy one of these when GL doesn't have any available?

Adam
I would say before that question can be answered you might want to clarify exactly what you are looking for.
the 919 is a concrete truck
the 915 is a tractor 4x6 no rear lockers (allison 5 spd auto)
the 916 is a tractor 6x6 lockers 16spd
the 917 is a dump truck 6x6 lockers 16 spd
the 920 is a tractor the same as a 916 but with a lift axle, longer wheel base and more load capacity, not to mention the monster winch on it.

I just wanted to make sure you were looking for a concrete truck.

PorscheTech911

I would say before that question can be answered you might want to clarify exactly what you are looking for.
the 919 is a concrete truck
the 915 is a tractor 4x6 no rear lockers (allison 5 spd auto)
the 916 is a tractor 6x6 lockers 16spd
the 917 is a dump truck 6x6 lockers 16 spd
the 920 is a tractor the same as a 916 but with a lift axle, longer wheel base and more load capacity, not to mention the monster winch on it.

I just wanted to make sure you were looking for a concrete truck.
No I'm not looking for a concrete truck, that's why I changed posts. I would prefer the 916, but I'm happy with a 915 or 915A1. The 920 sounds nice, but I haven't seen any of these other models, and I love the looks of the 915A1 so that's what I'm shooting for. Lockers are a great thing, but since I'm running my own truck on my own schedule, I can avoid bad weather since the DOT is pretty good down here, and if not I've got some experience with snow and traction LOL. I don't really need more capacity than the 915A1 can pull, that should be plenty. Like before the 915A1 is what I'm looking for, but for a comparable price, I would definitely not say no to a better stronger truck! :grin:

Adam

eldgenb

This advise applies to any driveline brake, be it Jacobs type, hydraulic, exhaust, electric, driveline hand brake (deuce), "pinion" or the closed throttle (gas engine), you are braking via the differentials, so if, for example, one side gets traction that tire will continue to turn, while the other side (on slippery surface) will turn in the opposite direction. The driver may lose control...
tell that to the "ice road truckers" :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks