• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Return line nuts at injectors will not budge?What is 2nd. fuel pump for on 0003A?

69zfarmer

I am trying to get my newly aquired GL generator started and i have printed TM manuals off but have not looked through them yet.I am going through the fuel system making sure all the lines are clear and not stopped up.The flare nuts on the metal return lines at the injectors are rusted and i have not been able to break them loose with my flare nut wrenches.I have put penerating oil on them.any sugestions?
The Gen has 3 fuel pumps.I know what 2 of them should go to.1 to aux. tank to keep mounted tank full.1 to supply fuel to injector pump.What does the other pump do?

RayK

There are two fuel pumps in series to feed the injection pump, and the one for the aux tank. Be sure to clean the screens on the bottom of each fuel pump - put a wrench on the very bottom to remove the cover over the screens. You may have to pull the screens down if they're stuck.

Keep up the penetrating oil on the nuts - try tightening (a little) and loosening the nut to break it free. If all else fails, try gently tapping on the opposite end of the wrench with a small hammer.

Good luck!

edgephoto

The main fuel system has 2 pumps in series. The unit only needs one. The second pump is for redundancy.

As for getting your return lines loose. Keep trying PB blaster. You can try some heat if you can get in there without doing damage. If you can't get the line free and you only reason for doing so it to make sure the lines are clean, why not try a different method? Clean everything of the old fuel. Fill the last fuel filter with Marvel Mystery Oil. Then add a couple gallons of fuel to the tank. Then turn on the fuel pumps until the click slows to almost nothing. Then let it sit for a day or two. Then turn on the pumps again and make sure fuel is returning to the tank. This method worked on both my units. They started right away.

1800 Diesel

I am trying to get my newly aquired GL generator started and i have printed TM manuals off but have not looked through them yet.I am going through the fuel system making sure all the lines are clear and not stopped up.The flare nuts on the metal return lines at the injectors are rusted and i have not been able to break them loose with my flare nut wrenches.I have put penerating oil on them.any sugestions?
The Gen has 3 fuel pumps.I know what 2 of them should go to.1 to aux. tank to keep mounted tank full.1 to supply fuel to injector pump.What does the other pump do?
Just curious why you're trying to crack the return line nuts on a newly acquired unit....understand they might be rusty, but external rust shouldn't affect internal flow, (unless a pinhole forms under heavy rust)...just go through the regular pre-start checks & procedures well documented on this site and see if she'll light off. Good luck with it--always a good thing when one of these units starts up for the new "rescuer"/user....:-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had varying degrees of success using a small ball peen hammer and pecking at the wrench. Sometimes the brisk but not heavy impact will help break them loose. Don't overlook the benefit of tapping them tighter just a tad too.

ETN550

If you have access use a flare nut crowsfoot wrench and put a small impact gun on it.

Or try pencil point heat on one side of the nut only.

Or use a chisel and hammer on the top corner of the nut, using a smaller hammer only.

Can you cut the line, take out the injector and use a deepwell socket with impact gun on the bench?

How hard have you pulled on the flare wrench?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks