• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reusable hydraulic fittings on wreckers

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read a lot on SS that 5-ton wreckers (M936s for sure and maybe M816s) came with field repairable or reusable hydraulic fittings. But when I look on pics of M936s for sale, I don't see the kind of reusable fittings I'm used to seeing that have wrench flats where the crimp would be. I found a NOS hose on ebay (no relation to seller) that says its from a wrecker and the NSN checks out too but I don't think those are reusable fittings. I think those are crimped fittings and it's what I see in most pics of M936s so what am I missing?

Attachments

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fittings you have described are the Parker 20 and 22 series field attachable fittings.
Yes- thank you. A quick google showed those are the style of reusable fittings I'm used to seeing around. They have the flats for a wrench where the crimp would be. I tried to download a pic of them to show here but the format wasn't correct for an upload.

But with all the discussion on reusable fittings on wreckers, I'm not sure if the wreckers came standard with reusable fittings or if folks added along the way. More curiosity than anything else as I just haven't seen a wrecker for sale with what I think are reusable fittings.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes- thank you. A quick google showed those are the style of reusable fittings I'm used to seeing around. They have the flats for a wrench where the crimp would be. I tried to download a pic of them to show here but the format wasn't correct for an upload.

But with all the discussion on reusable fittings on wreckers, I'm not sure if the wreckers came standard with reusable fittings or if folks added along the way. More curiosity than anything else as I just haven't seen a wrecker for sale with what I think are reusable fittings.
Generally speaking, the hose fittings are going to be crimp-on style from the military.
Local hose shops will generally use crimp-on fittings as well...

Having a roll of hose and a bag full of "skive" type installable fittings are always a nice way to make your repairs.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
…But with all the discussion on reusable fittings on wreckers, I'm not sure if the wreckers came standard with reusable fittings or if folks added along the way…
Bump up the threads you’re reading with reusable fittings, or drop a link here, and we can try tracking down who maybe able to answer this question.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Here's a quick couple posts about mentioning reusable fittings on wreckers. I've seen more posts but these more or less explain my questions.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Here's a quick couple posts about mentioning reusable fittings on wreckers. I've seen more posts but these more or less explain my questions.
I think the top link is all irrelevant stuff, FMTV hydraulic cab lift, and jacketed air lines…

@Mullaney s wrecker looks like a mixture with the uppers being reusable, likely replaced the crimp hose in the “field” by the motor pool guys when his cover was smashed?

@Csm Davis may have some useful input.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just made an interesting observation on both of my A2‘s, but they are not wreckers. 90% of the rubber lines or braided, air, power steering transmission are reusable fittings. However, all of the hydraulic lines that I can see for the winch system on my M925 are all crimp fittings.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the top link is all irrelevant stuff, FMTV hydraulic cab lift, and jacketed air lines…

@Mullaney s wrecker looks like a mixture with the uppers being reusable, likely replaced the crimp hose in the “field” by the motor pool guys when his cover was smashed?

@Csm Davis may have some useful input.
Good catch on the first link being for non-wrecker stuff.

On the second link, post #8 Wes says "those hoses have reusable fittings on it as designed from the military so you don't have to have ends crimped on. Just simply replace the hose." Wes is pretty accurate so I'm reading it as the wreckers came with reusable fittings from the factory. Maybe I'm reading it wrong or it's a simple mistake.

Either way, it's just a curiosity thing regarding what wreckers were originally outfitted with. The NOS hose I show in my original post is what I consider to be crimped fittings and I was really just verifying those are crimped and I'm not missing something.

87cr250r

The field attachable fittings are more expensive but lately my local hose shops have been charging $60-90 to crimp a hose. In this case the field attachable can often become the less expensive option.

One thing to keep in mind is that the field attachable fittings are only available for braided hoses. Braided hoses are for constant pressure applications. If you have a high impulse application or a hose that needs a longer fatigue life you'll have to use spiral reinforcement with crimp on fittings.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gu
The field attachable fittings are more expensive but lately my local hose shops have been charging $60-90 to crimp a hose. In this case the field attachable can often become the less expensive option.

One thing to keep in mind is that the field attachable fittings are only available for braided hoses. Braided hoses are for constant pressure applications. If you have a high impulse application or a hose that needs a longer fatigue life you'll have to use spiral reinforcement with crimp on fittings.
I must be getting old.......... In another lifetime at Napa I made a gazillion hoses and the labor was $5-10 per side plus fittings and hose.........

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Jbulach I just saw your post #8. That is a very interesting observation about the mix/match of reusable vs. crimped hydraulic lines. My only guess would be the Army viewed the crane as dangerous if a fitting failed so they went with all crimped on the crane system to eliminate Soldier-induced failures from badly assembled fittings. The rest of the stuff is okay to repair in the field in order to self-extract back to safety as needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks