• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reuse MEP-002A torn intake gasket with sealant?

AndrewOH

Last night,while to replace a broken oil fitting, I had to take the intake manifold off. The gasket ripped right down the middle with one half stuck on the engine, and the other on the manifold. I picked up some Permatex Hylomar univ. blue racing formula gasket dressing and flange sealant. It seemed the best stuff out there for the intake and allows for you to remove and replace the part without destroying the gasket. Should I reuse the torn gasket and just seal it or am I asking for trouble? I would think that all it is doing is keeping dust out and nothing else but then again I am new to diesels.... If it's been covered before I apologize, I didn't see any threads applicable. Thanks!

ETN550

Last night,while to replace a broken oil fitting, I had to take the intake manifold off. The gasket ripped right down the middle with one half stuck on the engine, and the other on the manifold. I picked up some Permatex Hylomar univ. blue racing formula gasket dressing and flange sealant. It seemed the best stuff out there for the intake and allows for you to remove and replace the part without destroying the gasket. Should I reuse the torn gasket and just seal it or am I asking for trouble? I would think that all it is doing is keeping dust out and nothing else but then again I am new to diesels.... If it's been covered before I apologize, I didn't see any threads applicable. Thanks!
That is not a critical application and practically any method of sealing will work. As long as the gasket or "fix" is not too thick or too flexible where the joint could relax you will be fine.

Options that would work:

Put sealer on both sides of the existing gasket halves and install. Very light coating so it does not extrude inward much. The Permatex Hi-Tack is also a good option. It is more like a glue and it can be had in an aresol spray which allows a thin coat to be applied.

Scrape off the old gasket and use a gasketless sealer. I would prefer a silicone type as Hylamar does not ever really harden.

Make a new gasket by buying some gasket material from the auto parts store. One tried and true way to cut a gasket for a solid machined part of cast iron, steel or aluminum is to place the new material over the machined finish and carefully tap the ball end of a small ball peen hammer around the sharp side edge of the metal part allowing the side of the ball to glance off and cut the gasket against the machined surface. Using care and making sure the gasket does not move when you do it results in perfect gaskets. I have done this many times over the years. One tip to make the gasket material stay in place while peening is to do a little on opposite sides and it will stay in place better for the rest of the peening. An Exacto knife or razor blade can trim material too. The result will be a perfectly fitting professionally looking gasket!

derf

The new "gasket in a tube" sealants work well. Many OEM auto manufacturers use them nowadays.
Hylomar would work fine. To use the Hylomar remove the gasket and clean any gunk or debris that is on it and the mating surfaces. Rub a thin layer of Hylomar on both sides of the gasket. Re-assemble.
If you plan to take it apart again soon then Hylomar is the way to go. Silicone or other sealants would have to be scraped off and re-applied each time you remove and re-assemble. With Hylomar you can just add a little if you feel there isn't enough and re-assemble.
I've used Hylomar for a long time and it is good stuff. I also have a buddy who works for Henkel peddling LocTite products. LocTite Instant Gasket is good stuff, too.

AndrewOH

I appreciate the help guys. My local autoparts store didn't have any generic gasket so I just used the sealant. I have to say I liked Hylomar and it worked really well. Unfortunately my pesky oil leak returned (in a different spot) so I will get to rip her apart again and test the Hylomar and it's reusing properties out. I did use a little too much initially. Definitely thinner is better.

derf

Gaskets, sealants, and Hylomar are supposed to fill voids in mating surfaces. Often less is better.

AndrewOH

Gaskets, sealants, and Hylomar are supposed to fill voids in mating surfaces. Often less is better.

That, my friend, is an awesome piece of advice. I wish I had known about that earlier. I took apart the manifold this morning and redid it using a thin amount smeared over it this time. The Hylomar is great stuff. Very easy to work with including taking it off and worth it's weight in gold. Thanks again guys!!

derf

I've used Hylomar for a long time. It is especially good for intake gaskets on cars that you have to pull apart frequently.