• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reversing PA Antique Registration

Akicita

M35A2 owners in Pennsylvania:

I understand registering a truck that has been registered as an antique vehicle has its challenges but I wonder if anybody here has done it.

I have an M35A2 with regular truck plates and insurance. I don't think I will use this truck at all this year for anything but an occasional "joy ride". To save money on registration and insurance (which isn't cheap where I live), I am considering declaring this truck an antique vehicle.

When I spoke to someone at a local registration office this afternoon I was warned that it is very difficult to reclassify an antique as a regular truck, and that the state may even refuse to do it.

If I want to use the truck again next year, I'll need regular registration.

I'd appreciate some feedback on this.

Attachments

robert c neth

Banned
by the time you pay all the fees switching back and forth what will you actually save.i have several vehicles with regular plates and i can put the insurance in escroe for months and not pay them until i drive it again.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
All my deuces and 5 tons are historic tagged in Pa.$75 for lifetime tags and $70 a year for full coverage insurance.

gunboy1656

I don't see how there would be an issue going from antique plates back to regular, other then it needing an inspection. The state needs money just show them the cost difference, and I bet they won't have an issue.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run special interest tags on my trucks and just buy a $45 trip permit when I need to use it for something else.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. It allows you to use it as if it had T plates on it. Good for three weeks. Cheaper than the $100 a month for regular T plates.

BEASTMASTER

i just changed the beast over to antique plates. the plates are $60 and the ins is $160 for the year. they say no problem if i want to change back. plates $560,ins. $1300 ya ok

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you driving?
I pay roughly $135.00 a quarter at 18000lb.
Still to much that's why its a motor home next go around.
DMV charged me about $100 per month for a deuce. Weight was at 26,000 which was too much. That might be why.

You have T Plates?

BTW, have a buddy with machine shop at 23rd & A, says he has seen your truck around Springtucky.

barefootin

I've had more issues with PennDOT trying to get antique tags. I've been rejected numerous times on a few different vehicles. One time it was over a "period" stripe that was on my car, but wasn't "factory".... I've never had an issue going the other direction. They will want the $400 for the class 8 registration. I have a few acres and get stone, firewood, pellets and mulch every year so I keep mine at a class 8. Between the registation and full coverage insurance it costs me no more for the Deuce than what my 1 ton Chevy at a class 4 does with only comp and liability..... To me it's not worth the risk of funding the Commonwealth further.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
They are picky,I paint all my trucks so they look good before I send them the pics.I have had problems in the past if it doesnt look perfect.

plym49

When you need to move it from antique to standard, sell the truck to your wife. She registers it as standard. Done. You might even be able to have her sell it back to you before she registers it.

cheiser666

not sure about trucks but....
When i bought my motorcycle it was registered antique. When i bought it i had to re-send photos of the bike to get MY antique tags. (antique tags are not transferable). Sent in 4 photos and got the tag in a few weeks. If i wanted to drive the bike immediately i could have registered it regular and then sent in for my antique. Very easy process, permanent registration (no renewing), and no inspection.

Chevyman_15237

Since I started buying vehicles, I always made a couple extra copies of each title... just to keep. I did transfer my deuce from regular registration to antique... I'm sure if you had a copy of the old title as a regular registered truck they shouldnt give you any guff as to weight class, etc going from antique to regular registration.