• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Revolting development

Bill W

Alright I finished up the rear brakes and seals and moved to replace the bad rear spring u-bolts and from there do the spring seat pivot bearings., Well I had to cut off the u-bolts PIA but now I can't even knock out the bolts as they are so swollen and on top of that I can't get the spring pack to come off the seat, this was a northern truck and salt has played hell with the drivetrain, so I'm thinking as bad as everything looks I need to look for a decent set of rear springs/seats, anybody near Georgia got some forsale?

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 clamp bolts holding the spring pack on from the side. Bolt heads behind in the photo.

Bill W

Stretch
even though the TM doesn't mention having to loosen them I did put a 3/4 drive breaker w/4' cheater on them and the dang things are stuck tight

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heat the nuts - get the nuts off, Then put another hydrolic jack under the threaded portion of the exposed bolt and use the weight of the truck to push them up. Might have to use a hammer on the out side to get them broke loose.

Lee in Alaska

FreightTrain

Banned
push come to shove....Wreckerman has the entire frame section of a deuce sitting at the LZ.Think everything is there including the dog bones(he torches all bolts to remove axles....).

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a complete rear with springs/torque arms $100 in rockmart GA. PM if you want them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As many deuces as are getting bobbed and scrapped, these items should be getting really cheap.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i never understood why they made the spring pinch bolts coarse thread instead of fine thread. just about every other bolt on the truck is fine and these would be alot easier to get off if they to were fine thread. i went through this whole ordeal myself but mine was a bit worse. i had to replace the whole trunion assembly and all the bearings and seals and all the rubber mounted tapers on the dog bones. the ends of my trunion were so bad on my one truck that once the springs were free from the rears i pulled the spring and pivot assembly off with out touching the bearings :shock: