• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rewiring MEP004 for single phase

LuckyDog

I think this is similiar to PeterD's pdf above, but with pictures.

I like pictures.

I am adding it to this old thread, figure this is best place for it. This shows that you "could" get 440 or 480 3phase out of the 12 head generators. (Amperage would go down accordingly) but that isn't the point of the OP.

Attachments

Last edited:

bimota

Anyone have experience on the MEP-004 or others with High Leg Delta and loading the 240 L-L for residential use while keeping the 3 phase ? I'm curious and have done the Zig-Zag single phase conversion and very happy but also know that one is losing 30% of the output - which is damm sloppy even for overengineered surplus. So how about running a high leg Delta to get your three phase and single phase - my question is how well does that work out and what kind of loading (output in amp or kw) is available. I've rewired a couple 12 lead generators with success so I'm looking for very technical answers and would love some load testing data.

Here is another question for the Gurus - a month ago I rewired a 12 lead Generac 100kw - here is what blew my mind - we started and set the the rpm with a timing light at 1800, frequency output was 37 Hz. We cranked up to 60hz and the big block Chevy was running at 3600rpms! Now that's some power and not what we wanted - anyone know how in the world a 12 lead generator head can be run at 3600rpm?

PeterD

Bimota, I don't think you can balance it without a lot of work. You'd have to add secondary loads to the unused phases (since high leg delta uses one phase for the 120/240.) I think above in this thread I explained that the power companies do this by running multiple high leg delta feeds from a single source. So consumer A uses phase A, consumer B uses phase B and consumer C uses phase C for their single phase power requirements. The unbalance introduced by consumer A is balanced out by consumers B and C.

1800 Diesel

Fred,

I completed 2 conversions so far on the MEP4 and presently working on my third. The process was done as per Sewerzuk's instructions and 2 of the units have also been load tested to about 110% with no issues. IIRC, Sewerzuk addresses concerns of imbalance in at least one or two of his postings. Essentially the generators are not imbalanced after the single phase conversion is completed.

As Speddmon mentioned you need to confirm that you actually need that much generator. In most cases (unless you have a very large house with all-electric), the MEP-003A is plenty. The people that I'm setting up MEP4s for have large all-electric homes and also they'll be powering shops as well. For the third MEP4 I'm working, this one will actually be powering two houses, but both of these have natural gas stove, HW heater & dryer.

Kevin

PeterD

Just a quick note on 004s used for homes. I have an all electric home in NH, with electric heat, cooking, cloths dryer, etc., and I rarely get up to full load on the generator. Were I to do this 'again' I'd absolutely look at a 003!

t2Gmn4r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a mep004a and did to 12 lead change to 120/240 single phase from a 10 minute video I found on here and it works great with no issues