• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ridiculous items flagged during inspection

Rgdl

I finally got my M818 home Wednesday. Thanks to Andy Cox at Army6x6.

Drove her approx 550 trouble-free miles home on the interstates with the pedal on the floor. It was a fun ride. The funniest part was taking the 494 by-pass around Minneapolis and having folks in multiple cars passing me take pictures.

First thing I did when I got home was bring it to a diesel shop for a provincial safety inspection. This inspection is a requirement before the province can issue me plates, and without a pass I can't drive the truck.

Mechanically the truck is in fantastic condition. It was a 2006 rebuild so I really wasn't worried. They flagged me for legitimate items such as:

- hardened wiper blades
- a couple burnt out bulbs
- headlights stopped working during the trip home. Looks like the bulbs.
- excessive steering lash
- steering box leaking at input
- hydraulic assist on right steer leaking
- steer shaft U-joint worn

Now the ridiculous items:

- holes in floor. I assume they're referring to the shifter and pedals.
- no sunvisor. I'm only 5'6" tall and I sit so high in the cab that I honestly don't think a sunvisor would make a difference if there was one.
- no window defoster. Duh....there's no heater. I won't drive in the winter.
- no front or rear trios, and no side (front fender) marker lights. This truck never came with these items, why add them now? It's really not that big of a deal. I can buy and install amber signal lights for the front fenders, and I think I'll build a head-ache rack behind the cab and mount my trios up there.

So that's it. I have some work to do before I can really start enjoying this beast.

Oh yeah.........before any of you clowns scream nopics

Attachments

Last edited:

gunboy1656

I see Andy got another happy customer. He seems to find some very nice looking M818's, thats the second one I have drooled over.

As for the inspection, those are some stupid things to ding a truck about. No sun visor...really?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nopicsof the tires that came off!!

Nice looking truck! Can't wait to go by Andy's and pick up your cast off tires for my deuce.

datsunaholic

Well, that's Canada for you. Everyone that has a M109 had to add the trio lights and side marker lights. Cargo trucks are no different. Sun visors, well, that's another issue.

The "Holes in the floor" I suppose you could come up with some sort of grommet.

But I think they got really picky when they found lights burned out... really should have checked and fixed that before taking it to the inspection. Never, ever go to an inspection knowing something is wrong.

jwaller

there are supposed to be some rubber cushions on the pedels that seal them against the underside of the floor. but really it makes no difference.

Rgdl

Well, that's Canada for you. Everyone that has a M109 had to add the trio lights and side marker lights. Cargo trucks are no different. Sun visors, well, that's another issue.

The "Holes in the floor" I suppose you could come up with some sort of grommet.

But I think they got really picky when they found lights burned out... really should have checked and fixed that before taking it to the inspection. Never, ever go to an inspection knowing something is wrong.
The temporary permit I had only allowed me to drive the vehicle from point A to point B, ie. the Canada/US border at Emerson/Pembina to the inspection shop. All the lights worked fine when I picked the truck up at Andy's.

Flyingvan911

That's harsh. The jokes that is. I took pics and TM drawings of a deuce to my mechanic before I ever bid on one. They said it should pass inspection with no problem.

davidkroberts

Just tell them that the holes in the floor are needed for when you spill your beer.8)

:funny:

reminds me of my dad telling me about the bright orange willys pickup he had in high school. he said the truck came stock with a center consol with a "tool box" with drainage holes drilled through the floor to let the water from the melting ice out...... ahh i mean the leaking fluids

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HOLES IN THE FLOOR:?::?::?::?: I thought that was for air conditioning:-? H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks, wouldn't be a military truck without the holes.

Last edited:

davidkroberts

oh and great looking truck by the way glad you got it back to the house okay. Sorry about the government raining on the parade oursis fond of doing it here too.

how did she ride with the 52" tires on her?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks