• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Riding on troop seats in a deuce

recon

I have seen pictures of deuces in parades with people riding on the troop seats. Hagerty insurance ( who I have) says only people riding in the cab are covered. Do any members have insurance that covers riders in the back or do they just do it without insurance. I'm trying to get my deuce ready for a Memorial Day parade and some people wanted to ride on the troop seats.
recon
Dutchess County, ny

ida34

Re: RE: Riding on troop seats in a deuce

rizzo said:
i do it at mud bogs with no insurance
Yeah and when they fall out they fall into the ruts and are buried. No evidence left huh? I like your plan rizzo.

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: Riding on troop seats in a deuce

You can have them sign a lawyer generated waiver, or you get a separate liability policy.. In some states you may have to have seat belts and the list goes on...ACE

alphadeltaromeo

Isn't it a shame that people can't be responsible for themselves. If they get hurt and they made the decision to take a ride, then they should bear the burden of that decision...unless it was gross neglect of course. Alas, common sense isn't prevalent and hasn't been for a long, long time.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I see it this way, if you are dumb enough, err. I mean, if you choose to, ride in the open back of an offroad vehicle when it is going offroad, then it is your choice and responsibility.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Recon, is that what they "say," or is it written that way in the policy? Vehicle insurance should apply to all "occupants" and in the back, or in the cab, they are all occupying the vehicle. If Hagerty states in writing that no one in the troop seats are covered, then I'd say there is no argument. It's their call. If the policy covers "occupants," they'll lose the suit, pay out, then probably drop you as a policy holder. I'm with Continental-Western. Give them a call. You can always set aside and insurance "bond" for additional coverage if a company doesn't have what you want. Or... just look into an "umbrella" policy. I'n not an angent, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! (Seriously though, I had a good agent once that educated me somewhat on insurance matters.)

CGarbee

In NC, it is legal to cary folks in the back of the truck... If it's not legal to transport folks in the back in your state, your insurance carrier will have a field day with you if somebody gets hurt... Notice that the law in NC pertains to children in pickups, there is nothing in the statutes (that I am aware of) that deals with hauling adults in small trucks, or in large ones... I have waved the pickup statute at folks when they have asked about my hauling folks in the back of the M35 and it has satisfied them, I follow it to the letter with folks in the M37 (since it is a pickup...). Since my insurance covers all occupants, since NC considers the people in the bed to be "occupants", and there is manufacture designed seating (troop seats) anyway, my agent says "no problem"....

Here is the NC statute for those who are intersted, I have this on my website linked from the homepage.

The Law on Transporting Children in the Back of a Pick-up Truck in North Carolina:
On January 1, 1995, a separate NC law went into effect that prohibits children less than age twelve from riding in the open bed of a pick-up truck. (NCGS ?20-135.2B) An open bed or open cargo area is a bed or cargo area without permanent overhead restraining construction. The operator of the vehicle having an open bed or open cargo is responsible for compliance with this law. The statute does, however, contain some exemptions. The provisions for proper securement of children do not apply:

1) If an adult is present in the bed or cargo area of the vehicle and is supervising the child;
2) If the child is secured or restrained by a seatbelt manufactured in compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 208, installed to support a load strength of not less than 5,000 pounds for each belt, and of a type approved by the Commissioner;
3) If an emergency situation exists;
4) If the vehicle is being operated in a parade pursuant to a valid permit;
5) If the vehicle is being operated in an agricultural enterprise; or
6) If the vehicle is being operated in a county which has no incorporated area with a population in excess of 3,500.

Violators are issued tickets and are subject to a fine of $25.00. Violations of this law have been defined as “infractions” and do not incur court costs, driver license points or insurance surcharges.

The following 32 counties are exempt from the “pickup truck” law based on the absence of incorporated areas with populations exceeding 3,500: Alexander, Alleghany, Ashe, Avery, Bertie, Camden, Caswell, Cherokee, Clay, Currituck, Duplin, Franklin, Gates, Graham, Green, Hyde, Jackson, Jones, Macon, Madison, Mitchell, Montgomery, Northhampton, Pamlico, Pender, Perquimans, Polk, Swain, Tyrrell, Warren, Yadkin, and Yancey.

rizzo

Re: RE: Riding on troop seats in a deuce

ida34 said:
rizzo said:
i do it at mud bogs with no insurance
Yeah and when they fall out they fall into the ruts and are buried. No evidence left huh? I like your plan rizzo.
yeah. dead men tell no tales and dead men buried in the bottom of ruts don't sue!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

That is why there are troop straps, who needs insurance when the driver is a sensable Steel Soldier. Have a blessed Memorial day and have fun at the parade.

Troll1216

Anyone have a line on single day parade or event insurance I am having a similiar problem with a prade in West Palm Beach on 11-11-11. PLEASE PM me with any info.

randini

What a sad world we live in. Some of my most fond memories are riding in the back of a Pickup bed as a kid in the summer. I wish I could share some of these lost experiances with my grandkids.

Lawrence of Arabia

I had a 103 year old woman, along with several other women, in the Women's Auxillary ride in the back of my Deuce on 4th of July. The Ladies rearranged the lawn chairs in the back of the truck. I was not driving so I did not notice until it was to late or I would have made them put the chairs back to back in the middle like I had them originally. Long story short, the driver turned and headed down the hill. As he hit the brakes, the 103 year old lady flipped over backwards and slammed her head on the floor of my truck. I was several trucks back and could feel my heart in my shoes. I probably will never volunteer to drive anyone again.

Fortunately she was ok.

91W350

What a sad world we live in. Some of my most fond memories are riding in the back of a Pickup bed as a kid in the summer. I wish I could share some of these lost experiances with my grandkids.
On the tailgate with it down, rolling through the Ozarks in S Missouri. The dips would cause my shoes to touch down on the pavement and I loved every second of it. Same for those pasture rides in the bed of the pickup, bailing out to chase down calves. Life was much simpler then and I was invincible... We also did waterway and roadside pheasant hunting from pickup beds when I was young.....great times.

That being said, I never haul people in the bed. I have been to too many fatality scenes where somebody fell out of a truck bed. The thought of how easy somebody can die falling, even at a slow roll, from that height, keeps passengers out of my deuce beds.

I am fine with a few sitting in there drinking beer or soda, watching the races, fireworks, lake or sunset, but no rides... Glen

Srjeeper

Hagerty....

I'd have the agent call them again and explain that it's a Troop Carrier/Cargo truck, orginally built with rack seats in the back.

I have Hagerty now for almost 5 years. I told them right from the start I intended to do shows and Parades with folks in the back and they said it was OK because that was one of the trucks intended uses.

Now that's not for drivin down the Interstate, but in a parade they were fine with it.

Did you talk to them or did your agent?

I let my agent do the talkin, cause he spoke their launguage.

2cents

It is amazing that any of us survived growing up riding in the back of trucks and farm wagons as children.

In the early 70's, it did not seem to bother the government to make me ride a few thousand miles in the back of a deuce. Of course, this usually followed a one way helicopter ride and a couple weeks camping out and hiking... (Don't forget the old, old K and C rations. At least they had smokes in them).

(I never rode in the front of a deuce until I bought one)!

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I have Hagerty now for almost 5 years. I told them right from the start I intended to do shows and Parades with folks in the back and they said it was OK because that was one of the trucks intended uses.
2cents
Hagerty can't stay on the same page either, just like the rest of them. My Hagerty Agent made me sign a statement stating I would not allow any passengers in the bed of the truck while moving. He wanted to make sure I understood before they issued the policy. I only used them one year, now I have Gulfway/Traveler's.

myJEEPisAfatty

After my experience of ridding in the back I would not suggest going offroad ever. I was with a friend who was going to look at a Deuce, we went for a testdrive in an empty parking lot when he "accidently" went over a speed bump. That one little speed bump sent me flying out of that wooden bench at least 6 inches and then crashing down. OWCH!

Also (ACE) Love the name man [thumbzup]