• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Riding on troop seats in a deuce

3dAngus

Riding in the back is for "experienced" travelers only. Even they can get hurt on a bump.

I wouldn't want any riders in the back of my deuce in this day and age, unless I knew it was seasoned travelers at a rally somewhere, but would be afraid to do it in a parade with all that 'walking room" back there. Kids can't even keep their feet off the seats for crying out loud, they sure won't stay in their seat without a drill sargent in the back yelling at em. Parents sure won't stop them.

And no, dead men cannot sue. But thier wives can, and they get three times as much. aua

armytruck63

About 12 years ago I was at a Wings and Wheels event and during the car tour, the back of the deuce became a rolling elementary school. It seems no parent had a problem sending their kids over to ride in the back of our truck, unsupervised.

We had about a five mile run down the freeway to one of our stops. I looked in the passenger side mirror to see one kid's leg dangling out from under the canvas and right down by the 55 MPH tires. I showed this to my co-driver who yelled through the tarp window for the kids to sit on the benches and not move until we got to our stop. We yanked that kid out and handed him over to his parents.

I will no longer haul any kids anywhere, even in a parade, without a responsible adult in the back.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I scheduled to haul some Vietnam vets in the back of my truck in a parade this Sun. I think I'll be ok but I'm going to watch things very closely.

rickf

In New Jersey it is illegal for anyone, adult or child, to ride in an open back vehicle. Of coarse the military has it's own rules. I don't know many states where you can legally ride in a trailer, how many of you remember the cattle cars?:roll::roll::roll:

Rick

mactiredearg

Under Colorado law an adult can ride in back at any time. Kids however have one rule: all seat belts in the cab have to be occupied by (younger) kids first. Then you are good.

As for carrying in a parade, even though you are on a road, that road has been legally closed and it is treated the same as private property. Which means you're good to go IF you choose.

My personal experience: I've carried kindergarten/first grade girl scouts and high school junior marines. With two adults (1 for each bench) the girl scouts were well behaved and no problems in a parade. The junior marines with their drill Sargent in the back threw their legs out on the open road as soon as I started rolling. So your mileage (as always) will vary.

Darwin T

are you going to drive them to the parade or are they going to get in at the parade and get out at the end of the parde.

well will there be drinking involved :beer: and if drinking is involved will you be supplying the drinks along with the ride. just asking.

i have never seen a LOE stop a parade to write a ticket. every parade we have around here has people in the back or trucks, on trailers or on self powered Marti Gras Floats and Marti Gras always has drinking. thats why i don't drive my deuce in the Marti Gras Parade. when in dought through a big cargo net over the back like a jumpy house so everyone is trapped until after the parade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks