• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

riggermedic's M1009

MarcusOReallyus

My new pickup has WiFi. ... I think that is part of the XM/On Star system. ... I think the fin on the roof over the driver replaces the satellite dish.
Yep. OnStar has a deal with one of the cellular carriers. I think it's AT&T, but I'm not sure. (I know they used AT&T when they first launched OnStar.) It's using the LTE network, but will fall back to 3G when there's no LTE available.

It's also possible they have deals with more than one, so you get whatever is available.

Just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItH1OWWniEA

Last edited:

tim292stro

Get a HAM license, and a OpenWRT WiFi access point and you can "roll your own" OnStar-type system. Plug in a separate WiFi card to the OpenWRT access point and it can be programmed to find any open hotspot and connect (and agree to the terms of service automatically), then a cellular data modem as a fall back if that doesn't work (again automatic), and then a packet radio link if none of that's not available (can't really use that for google image searches or most internet, but you can pass data to a computer you own and get specific information, like waypoints).

Some of the stuff you can do with an Extra Class license make it the most interesting one to get. Can't get a message out to "home" from where you are with commercial infrastructure? Can you both see the moon? Bounce a signal off that!! :beer:

riggermedic

Ham comes next and that will need just 2 more bulkhead connectors, 1 for the antenna and 1 for the hand mic extension.
the scanner is multi trunkated not sure a ham can pick this up, but I am woefully uneducated in these things. The ssb goes to 12 watts as I understand?
either way 4 units in a box with battery back up, mobile, transferable to my growing herd of MV's.
how can I go wrong?
will post pics as I go

Gunfighter1

Truck looks great! Would love to see how you do the radio setup. Ive got a CB ive been meaning to install in an overhead console on my roll cage for a while now just havent gotten around to it as theres always something else to do in it of more importance.

tim292stro

Counter intuitively, bright white is the best color to use inside a lightbox. Silver or chrome results in a specular reflection, rather than a diffuse reflection, which can lead to hot-spotting (some areas will appear brighter than others). Also a flat paint is better for even scattering than a glossy paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD9f3hDE8As

It's the same thing as with sound reverberation. Once you learn the physics of all these things the parallels start to stand out (when properly scaled (remember low frequency sound at 20Hz is a wavelength of 17Meters, while blue light is about 485nanoMeters [0.000000485Meter]).

Last edited:

tim292stro

The harder and flatter the surface, the better it reflects the original sound wave, the rougher the surface the more it scatters the sound. This is why the insides of these CUCV trucks without the sound treatment of carpet, padding and headliners makes for a good echo chamber - and listening to a sound system (intentional radiator, wanted sound) can get lost in the echo and reverb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqFJmZnWNHc

cucvrus

I have several CUCV's. Only 1 has a stereo hard wired with speakers in dash and rear speakers in 50 cal boxes. Sound not bad but very loud. Best sound set up is the XM radio docking station self contained stereo unit sitting on the front seat with the speakers and all. I tried the stereo in a few. the pick up forget it. At 55 you are going to be deaf. Trying to drown out the road noise to hear the music is a losing battle. No ear buds or head phones wanted. I have found that 99% of my driving is listen to the one note sound of the Detroit diesel engine at high RPM's Very high at 75 MPH.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks