• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Right and wrong way to start a deuce

rlwm211

Actually, I have heard the acronymn

RTFM

Which I was told was what newbies generally were told when they asked questions instead of looking the answers up themselves.

Exact translation is

READ THE F%$$ING MANUAL

Having personally had this said to me in the real world at one time or another, I also know that there are times when people ask questions. At some point, the quest for knowledge either propels someone towards the source or it does not.

What every one does in the world, outside of military service, is their own prerogative.

I think pretty much every person here would advocate safety above all, and that is sound thinking and everyone of us has a story to tell of when safety was not observed and things got out of hand and things got broken and people got hurt.

So I simply will say that learning is good, and living is learning so

R.T.F.M.

RL :wink:

kwiksilver

Actually, I have heard the acronymn

RTFM

Which I was told was what newbies generally were told when they asked questions instead of looking the answers up themselves.

Exact translation is

READ THE F%$$ING MANUAL

Having personally had this said to me in the real world at one time or another, I also know that there are times when people ask questions. At some point, the quest for knowledge either propels someone towards the source or it does not.

What every one does in the world, outside of military service, is their own prerogative.

I think pretty much every person here would advocate safety above all, and that is sound thinking and everyone of us has a story to tell of when safety was not observed and things got out of hand and things got broken and people got hurt.

So I simply will say that learning is good, and living is learning so

R.T.F.M.

RL :wink:
Man your text is annoying.

Billy Bobbed

You mean these trucks came with a manual no one told me.Maybe now I can figure out how to turn the lights on.I had my wife on the hood with a flashlight:doh:

Last edited:

bart6453

How about just answering the question?

To simply START the truck without all the details of what to look for before you start rolling...here is the best I understand from the operators manual.

1. Pull stop handle out
2. Crank engine with stop handle out to detect hydro-lock (as I understand it the real danger is from leaving your accessory switch on, and the fuel lift pump overpowering a leaky injector seal and filling the cylinder with fuel)
3. push stop handle in, and crank until engine fires.
4. Allow engine to idle for 5 minutes before moving.
4.1 Allow air pressure to build until it the low air pressure warning stops.
5. Drive.
6. shut it down after idling for 5 minutes.

That's what I do, that's the best I know.

Of course I also do the regular check the tires, look for oil pouring out of the engine...etc.

Last edited:

Seth_O

I am surprised at how many folks on here mentioned something about pulling the hand throttle out. When I fire my deuce (after doing all the safety checks) I just hit the starter button and it fires up; no touching the pedal, no pulling the hand throttle. It idles ~800 RPM's.

Do I have my idle adjusted too high? Should the truck need a little push from the hand throttle to keep it running while cold? I do live in sunny CA, so no temp problems here.

kwiksilver

couple contradictions I have. preface... My truck seems to be totally unaltered...
My starter button doesnt work until switch is on
When switch is on, the lever was designed to not allow the kill switch to be pulled out. Kinda defeats all the forementioned procedure. It starts every time before the engine completely turns over one revolution.

bart6453

couple contradictions I have. preface... My truck seems to be totally unaltered...
My starter button doesnt work until switch is on
When switch is on, the lever was designed to not allow the kill switch to be pulled out. Kinda defeats all the forementioned procedure. It starts every time before the engine completely turns over one revolution.
My truck does not allow the starter to crank unless the Accessory switch is in the on position also.

However, there is a dogleg in the arm of the accessory switch that allows you to pull the engine stop handle all the way out and then turn the accessory switch to on. This also makes sure that when the handle is fully out, it cannot retract, also it blocks the handle when the stop engine handle is fully in, stopping accidental pulling of the handle to stop the engine.

rlwm211

My deuce idles around 500 RPM. I live in an area where it is cold in the winter, and these days, in the morning too. Normally, in warmer weather (above 40) the truck starts without the throttle pulled. This time of year I use the throttle as I described and even then, the truck lopes a bit until it warms for about 10 seconds. The idle speed starts at around 650 and as it warms in the first minute or so will climb to 850-900.

My truck has the JATONKA oil filter adapters and the oil pressure comes up quickly. Before I installed them, I would watch the oil pressure gauge for what seemed to be forever before the oil pressure came up. You should wait for the oil pressure to come up and then for another 2-3 seconds before lifting the idle at all. This allows oil to get to the turbo bearings and all the rest of the engine before you increase RPMs and this reduces engine wear.

RL

Akicita

Same here in the Philadelphia area. The truck started fine in the summer but nowadays it needs a little help. We have frost on the lan in the morning. Idling at around 800 RPM also helps minimize vibrations during the warm-up. So, I pull the throttle handle out just a little when I start her now.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one OCD thing i do when i start it is i make sure it is in neutral and i dont push the clutch in. i figure i wont put stress on the thrust bearings before oil reaches them. after a little warm up (air pressure is built up by then) , im ready to rock and roll!:driver:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I park mine on a hill. When its time to go I release the brake let it roll and pop the the cluth in third gear. Works every time. I don't want to put any strain on my starter or batteries. :razz:

stumps

I park mine on a hill. When its time to go I release the brake let it roll and pop the the cluth in third gear. Works every time. I don't want to put any strain on my starter or batteries. :razz:
Honest, your starter and battery don't mind the strain.... The Toyota you just drove over because you don't have brakes does, though.

-Chuck

dragonwagon

Actully if you dont use your battery it will not last as long as if you pull it down and let it recharge .

read the TM < that really gets old even though im new around here .

Why not just post a full set of TMS and we wont need to communicate at all .

The cartoon operator thing post a page or two ago , that was fun to read . Thanks for that link .

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fellas it was a joke hence the Razz smiley face. :p Relax a little, I am a very safety conscious person. More so than most.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

It may get old but you will always get the correct answers. Several people have said to pull the engine stop handle and crank the engine over. This isn't exactly correct, you are supposed to quickly bump and release the starter several times. If you just hold it down and it spins with a hydrostatic lock you could do serious engine damage. Also the manual goes into what the gauges are supposed to read and when. They really are a valuable asset. Also, a full set of TM's is at the top of the main page under resources.;)

KsM715

Stick around long enough and you'll find your self saying "read the manual"

After you see someone new ask "How do I turn on my windshield wipers?"

We all try to help out but sometimes your patients (sp?) gets tested.

stumps

Actully if you dont use your battery it will not last as long as if you pull it down and let it recharge .
Not true for the sort of lead acid batteries used in cars and trucks. Every time you discharge them, their capacity becomes a little less than it was when new. Deep discharging them, such as when you leave the lights on until your vehicle won't start, is a killer for the battery.

The best life for a lead acid battery is one where it is kept fully charged, but not overcharged, and always recharged immediately after it gets discharged.

-Chuck