• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Right way, wrong way??? (Valve Stems)

Tackettr

Well, I was so proud of myself because I had demounted and remounted 5 of my duece tires. I was still alive and still had all my fingers and toes. :-D I'm in the process of going from 9 x 20 to 11 x 20. Then on number five I noticed that it was sure easy to just drop the tire with valve stem down on the Budd rim and everything just fell in place. I thought this is just too easy, so I went to the other remaining 9x 20s. Sure enough, I had mounted all five opposite to how the Army had them mounted. They had the valve stem pointed in towards the dish and I had them out. :oops: All that work!:evil:

So does it matter? Is it really right or wrong or just a standard way vs non-standard? I really don't want to have to break them down again. There is no metal to metal contact between the rim and stem.

On another note: I debated on buying a duckbill hammer, slide hammer, and other things to break the tires down. I decided to used the pieces of angle iron like I had seen discused on here. They worked like a champ!:-D:-D I was very impressed on how well they worked! Not to mention the money I didn't have to spend. To be honest, I have one tire that the angle has failed to seperate but the other 5 were no problem. I may take the jigsaw to the one tire.

Final note: No matter what system you use to break-down tires. It's still hard work! My back was feeling it the next morning!:-D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Aside from having to air up your tires from under the truck, I don't think you NEED to swap the tube around...

Jones

We mount ours with the valve stem pointing out towards the shallow side. If mounted as a front tire the valve stem will be pointing at you. This way there's no problem damaging the fill end of the stem by hitting the brake drum. And when mounted as duals, the outside wheel valve stem is at least partially protected.
We use the two-sided style tire air chucks and it all works pretty slick.

kurtkds

All the valve stems on mine are toward the shallow end also. I keep a double ended chuck in my tool box also for airing up the outer dualies.

Tackettr

UPDATE!!!!!: I had three tires remaining that had the valve stems the wrong way, 1 front and 2 inner backs. I had intended to change the front before a test drive but fogot. So, after a short 10 mile run I had a flat on the front tire!!!:evil:

WARNING: THE VALVE STEM WILL HIT THE STEERING LINKAGE IF POINTED THE WRONG WAY. CONTACT WILL RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE STEM AND LOSS OF AIR PRESSURE. TUBE IS USELESS AFTER THIS ALSO.

Rears appeared okay, but I have already changed them in case one gets move to the front later on.

Oh well, another lesson the hard way!:-D

Steinmeister

When you drop the rim into the tire/tube/tube sleeve assembly, the lug nut face of the rim should be towards the ground, and the valve stem should be pointing towards the ground. I found that to be easiest, and your valve stem ends up sticking out of one of the rim holes. This is so you can install valve stem extensions later, or just reach them without if you have a double face air chuck.
Addtionally, the split of the split rim should be mounted 180 degrees out from the valve stem when installed.
I am new here, and I didn't see the post about breaking down tires. A good used really dull army pick axe (the broad blade side) did me well in the army. I stress the "really dull" part, or you can chop up the rim and tire. It takes a little pratice, but works great with a little CLP as tire lube.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks