• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RIM CHANGEOUT (Paired 24 Stud) with Run-Flats

azulrios

I took my HMMWV to get all ( 1.5 years old with 5K miles) wheels balanced, including the spare tire (37x12.5x16.50 Radial Load E MTR). The dealer was able to balance the 4 but was unable to balance the spare that has never been installed. The dealer said the spare rim was out-of-round. When I find a new replacement rim for the spare, I want to change-out and have balanced.

QUESTION: Since the tire has not been used, is it acceptable to just change the rim pair (with new seal / valve) without having to remove the run-flat and only lubricate the run-flat?? -or- do I have have to remove.

Thanks in advance.

Action

I had one like that. I took the wheel apart and rotated the outer piece either 90 or 180 degrees. Put back together.

You can raise 1 corner of the HMMWV and put in D. It will spin slow. you can watch to see how much the tire or wheel move. Have someone inside the truck in case it fall to the ground.

I have seen tire move 1/4" up and down, and be smooth while driving.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don’t have to remove the evil runflat to swap rims. Spit on it for me when you see it in the tire. Did I mention I hate runflats?

azulrios

I had one like that. I took the wheel apart and rotated the outer piece either 90 or 180 degrees. Put back together.

You can raise 1 corner of the HMMWV and put in D. It will spin slow. you can watch to see how much the tire or wheel move. Have someone inside the truck in case it fall to the ground.

thanks for response. Crazy to have fight with these tires and rims!!!

azulrios

You don’t have to remove the evil runflat to swap rims. Spit on it for me when you see it in the tire. Did I mention I hate runflats?
Thanks

I agree, run-flats are so much pain. Wish I had the money to purchase the Hutchinson (www.hutchinsoninc.com/) Rock Monster rims (double bead-locks) for HMMWV / H1. I do not think Hutchinson sells direct but did find a website that does; www.modmafia.com

The set up is called "Mod Mafia 2 piece Dual Beadlock 17 inch cast wheel (Pre-ordered)" at (are you sitting down??) USD 900 each !!!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RunFlats save lives.

You don't need to remove runflats to change rims.

I agree that rotating the tire 180 degrees on the rim is an option.

To open a 2 piece rim, MAKE SURE TO REMOVE THE VALVE AND ALLOW PRESSURE TO HIT ZERO!!!!!

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks

I agree, run-flats are so much pain. Wish I had the money to purchase the Hutchinson (www.hutchinsoninc.com/) Rock Monster rims (double bead-locks) for HMMWV / H1. I do not think Hutchinson sells direct but did find a website that does; www.modmafia.com

The set up is called "Mod Mafia 2 piece Dual Beadlock 17 inch cast wheel (Pre-ordered)" at (are you sitting down??) USD 900 each !!!
Mod Mafia is selling rims that are wide and can lead to spindle loosening and failure. They are not the proper footprint.

If you want Hutchinson rims, might I suggest E-bay?

Mod Mafia as a whole is overpriced and arrogant. In a year or so they will be selling reproduction H1 2 piece Hutchinson rims for a couple of thousand APIECE!!!

azulrios

RunFlats save lives.

You don't need to remove runflats to change rims.

I agree that rotating the tire 180 degrees on the rim is an option.

To open a 2 piece rim, MAKE SURE TO REMOVE THE VALVE AND ALLOW PRESSURE TO HIT ZERO!!!!!
Thanks

Responses on SteelSolders Forum are very helpful and guide the blind from making mistakes!! BTW, I agree, the run-flats save lives.

I just went on the Mod Mafia website. Too pricey and their rims will not allow me to use my existing tires so it is a "No-Go".

If I can get the out of round rim issue sorted / balanced, I am good to go with what I have.

Thanks

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks

Responses on SteelSolders Forum are very helpful and guide the blind from making mistakes!! BTW, I agree, the run-flats save lives.

I just went on the Mod Mafia website. Too pricey and their rims will not allow me to use my existing tires so it is a "No-Go".

If I can get the out of round rim issue sorted / balanced, I am good to go with what I have.

Thanks
Just get centrimatics!!!

Also, don't just believe the mechanic... measure the tire and rim for out of round yourself

azulrios

Just get centrimatics!!!

Also, don't just believe the mechanic... measure the tire and rim for out of round yourself

Will do, I trust myself for the measurements.

I have never used wheel balancers, do they work? Have you used these before??

I just checked Centrimatics website and they have Hummer H1 Model 370-800 for sale at USD 279 for 4 pieces. (Presume these will fit the Humvee)

That is a reasonable price compared to changing rims and tires.

Thanks again!!!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

This was common practice on Lincolns

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will do, I trust myself for the measurements.

I have never used wheel balancers, do they work? Have you used these before??

I just checked Centrimatics website and they have Hummer H1 Model 370-800 for sale at USD 279 for 4 pieces. (Presume these will fit the Humvee)

That is a reasonable price compared to changing rims and tires.

Thanks again!!!
Yes the H1 centramatics work for the hmmwv. They are heavier/balance more weight than the 8x6.5 that they also sell.

I and several others in my area have centramatics and we really like them.

They will help with out of balance tires (up to 12 or 16 oz out of balance) but they won't do anything for out of round tires.

They do what they are advertised to do, but don't perform miracles.

azulrios

Yes the H1 centramatics work for the hmmwv. They are heavier/balance more weight than the 8x6.5 that they also sell.

I and several others in my area have centramatics and we really like them.

They will help with out of balance tires (up to 12 or 16 oz out of balance) but they won't do anything for out of round tires.

They do what they are advertised to do, but don't perform miracles.
Thanks

Glad to know others are using the Centrmatics.

azulrios

I have purchased the Centramatics but have not installed as I still need to change out two (2) bent rims. I do not think that I can changed these out by myself so wondering if someone knows of a place near Incline Village, NV that could do the work. (I can travel as far as Sacramento, CA). I tried a place in Reno, NV but they could do the work.

Any help is appreciated.

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have purchased the Centramatics but have not installed as I still need to change out two (2) bent rims. I do not think that I can changed these out by myself so wondering if someone knows of a place near Incline Village, NV that could do the work. (I can travel as far as Sacramento, CA). I tried a place in Reno, NV but they could do the work.

Any help is appreciated.
If you can go as far as Sacramento I would Call Steve at Retired War Horse he's just outside of Sac and can get the job done right.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you bend 24 bolt rims without driving into a concrete barrier?

And I agree, Steve is a great guy.

azulrios

Finally got the spare tire opened up. It has magnesium runflats. (I though the Army and possibly other military branches discontinued the magnesium type!!???)

Is it possible to remove the run-flats and reinflate the tires -or- are double bead-locks required. I never de-flate the tires to less than 20 psi.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks