• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rims for 37 x 12.50 16.5 ?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I searched and did not find what I was looking for. I found a set of 37 x 12.50 16.5 military tires for a great deal.

Problem is, my M1009 has 15" rims. Is there a go to application for rims that will fit these AND my M1009 axles as is or do I need to replace hubs/axle? Have a lift kit on order and don't mind cutting a little if needed (or add zero rates to the lift kit).

alfaheaven (.com) makes steel 16.5" rims in 6-bolt and 5-bolt configurations.

My M1009 had steel Kelsey Hayes 16.5" rims with 36" Humvee tires on it when I bought it. But according to the previous owner; the Marines modified it and put them on, and they were on it when he got it from a gov auction. So I'm not sure if they are a standard size they make.

You might also be able to find some steel wheels from National Wheel and Tire, 4Wheel Parts, Tire Rack, Summit or something like that. I think Eaton makes 16.5" wheels in 8, 6, and 5 bolt patterns.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I called around an no one had 16.5 rims locally. Found some online for 300+- shipped. I plan on a 12 bolt swap later, but no serious off roading until then. Anyone in FL have a set for sale?

$300+s&h for a set of four, or just for one rim?

$300 for a set would be a good price. I'd think most steel wheels in 16" or 16.5" sizes would be between $75-110 each.

You will almost certainly have to buy rims new in order to get 16.5's with a 6 bolt pattern.
16.5" rims only came stock on 8-bolt trucks with one or two very rare exceptions, so finding any used ones at a scrap yard will be nearly impossible.
Buying new rims will also be your cheapest and easiest solution. 6-bolt to 8-bolt spacers are pretty expensive and then you still have to buy 8-bolt rims anyways, plus it will put more strain on the axels with that large of a tire sticking further out.

I don't think there is a way to convert the 10bolt axle to an 8-lug, and if there is it'll cost you, and the axle will be just as weak as it was before...and you'd just be way better off finding a D60 or D44 front and 14bolt rear with 8-bolt hubs.

Vintage iron

I still have a bunch of HMMWV rims here in Mass. I can have them recentered for you too. Just found a great machine shop to work with. They are recentering some MRAP rims for me.