• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ring and pinion upgrade for M135?

Section8

I have just bought my first M135!! [thumbzup] Yay me!! The fellow i bought the truck from said he saved it from being scapped! All fluids have been drained and radiotor gone, plus some wiring and engine components.:x The old fellow said he is not sure if the axles are siezed or not since they were drained before he got the truck and it had been sitting a while. I am wondering if there is a part number cross reference for these trucks for modern gear replacements or possible gearing upgrades? Maybe a 5.83 or something that would fit for a little more fuel economy?
Any info would help!! Will try to post pics as soon as i figure out how to do the whole computer thing!:roll:

M215

Pull the rear axle shafts and front hub flanges. Quick way to determine if the issue is locked difs or or stuck brakes. Caution, the axles could be under stain / torque and may spin when released. Don't know about gearing changes.
Good luck.

nattieleather

Maybe someone else can chime in here, but it is my understanding that the axles used on the M211/M135 trucks was used on some GMC commercial applications. There has got to be some type of corss reference out there somewhere. It may take some digging on your part to find it.

Not trying to be funny, but have you become friends with the three wise guys... Google , Yahoo, and Bing? I think a good web search might find what you're looking for.

Section8

i have searched the net endlessly and cannot find any information on the ring and pinion sizes or any modern equivilants that can be used for replacement. All I come up with is the gear ratio, which i already new was 6.17. I am not wanting yet to blow apart my axles unless i can find out if there is replacement ring and pinions to be had. I was also told that i could find a place to have some made but be prepared to pay through the nose. I would be more than content if i could find a modern equivilant with a lower ratio that would work.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No such animal. The M135 goes down the road just fine at 55 mph, 58 is against the governor at 3400 RPM. Gets the same fuel economy as any other gas powered medium truck, about 5-6 mpg.

Section8

I guess i am gonna have to possibly scrap the whole idea here. untill i can either find some replacement gears or save enough to have them made.:deadhorse:!!! Bigger issues needed first i guess such as drive train!!:shock::(!! The front lines of the fight are being established!! Lets see what the battle brings!!!!:)

Stan Leschert

You finally got one!

You realize that if you don't post pics, it didn't happen!

I'll help you as I can. There is a supply old of parts in Alberta and NOS in Onscario.

Did the Penticton city fathers request a change of address?

nopicsnopicsnopics

Unless you change the entire driveline, 55 - 58 is max. Do a search for M135 / 211 and you will see what others are doing, but on the level, this is one of the faster trucks. Nothing is fuel efficient unless you get a Multi Fuel and raid the Canadian Tire Drop bin in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Even with the most modern engine/tranny in your truck, the rest of the driveline was never designed to exceed 60mph (58mph actually). If you want to see highway speeds your only option is to upgrade to 395 Michelin 46" tires. I know some people brag about going 70mph+ by adding OD transmissions, but a candle burning twice as bright burns out twice as fast.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks