• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ring gear spacer?

dixiepc

I just opened up a 14 bolt rear axle from a M1008 CUCV. It initially appears that there is a spacer behind the ring gear. Did GM sometimes use 4.10 carriers with a spacer behind a 4.56 ring gear in CUCV applications?

dixiepc

Steve,

I trust your experience but is it possible that it could have been done if they needed to use up some 4.10 carriers. I took this rear end out of a CUCV myself so I know that it is original. I have build quite a few front and rear ends so I am not new to this. I'm not trying to argue just trying to figure out what I'm looking at without taking this apart. Just noticed it while I was it out before I put in new fluid.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had a few of them myself, but have never seen a 14 bolt spacer. It would have come from a GM plant, i am not aware of a GM spacer for the 14 bolt, or after market. Got a pic?

Skinny

4.10 to 4.56 is the split on the carrier. I wonder if someone rebuilt the rearend with a set of thin gears? A lot can happen in 30 years...

dixiepc

Steve, I'll get some pictures for you tomorrow.

There is no indication whatsoever that this thing had been into since it left the factory until I opened it up.

dixiepc

Well, I couldn't stand waiting until tomorrow. After I took the cover off I got to looking really close and I don't think that it's a spacer after all. But I'm going to attach a picture anyway. Let me know what you think.

14 bolt 006 (Medium).jpg

dixiepc

I did Steve, it is 4.56. It wound up being just the way the carrier was machined.

Thanks for responding.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks