• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ring Mount & Hard Top

cruzinz28

Thought I would post some pictures of the Ring Mount, Hard Top, Ring Cover, M2 w/ Cover etc. from the Gilbert Show.

I had a friend pull off a big favor at his fabrication shop and re-make the parts to the Ring Mount Hard top out of Aluminum. The old standing lip was made of fiberglass that was broken in one spot and the lid was the original torn canvas.

Now that I have this installed in its place I don't have to worry about the canvas deterirating and after the Gilbert Show I can confirm that it is water tight. LoL!

Enjoy the pictures. I wll post more tomorrow morning. I am pressure washing the mud off the truck when I get home and afterwards I will take some more with the Gun uncovered.

Attachments

cruzinz28

Here are a few more pictures of the Hard Top Cover.

I think the cost of the labor alone to have these re-produced for re-sale would scare most people off. Let alone the cost of the material involved plus the fact that you still will have to supply your own nuts, bolts, and gasket to finish the project. Plus, there are very few Ring Mounts out here installed from what I've seen.

Attachments

cruzinz28

I will see what I can do to get a price for a 3-piece kit.

I used the original aluminum ring on the underside of the top that came on the Original Ring Mount Hard Top I purchased. You would at least need these 3 peices to start the kit.

Again, give me a few days and we'll see what price they can work up.

Darwin T

i have a mount and i bought and a flat fiberglass top to put it on. you can just see it on this truck, i am going to pull this top and the pass through and mount it on my M109a3. i took the M-66 apart yesterday to clean and paint before i put it on my M109a3. leat me know how much for one of these. after some of the parts i bought for my 3 deuces and my M1028 dually with maintance bed it takes a lot to scare me, but sometimes i get priced out.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I will atest the work done on his truck is top notch. Jessie's work makes me want to bob a truck.

I discussed his top before he did it. I think most of you will get sticker shock but it was absolutely wonderful the way it turned out.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see why you couldn't make one from steel pretty reasonable. That way the average bear could fabricate/weld it etc. What are its dimensions? I might try to give it a shot. (Diameter and height of lip). How is the cover attached when it's on the truck?

cruzinz28

I had the choice to have it made from steel or aluminum. Since they have a lot of aluminum stocked at their shop that was the route they decided to take for me. My original design in CAD had it being milled from a solid peice of aluminum. They were able to make it out of Sheet Aluminum which definitly helped in the cost factor. It was a little labor intensive to roll the standing lip and weld it to the flat ring, but it turned out awesome.

Also by making it out of sheet aluminum it gave it the ability to form with the existing hardtop. In case you haven't looked at the top of your truck much, most are a little wavy and dented in places and when you cut the opening in it, it gets a little worse. The metal hard top is made of very, very thin metal and it is a b*tch to try to weld or patch if you have too.

I will try to take dimensions when I get home tonight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks