• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ring mount Q's...

MilitaryRestoration

Who has re serviced their ring and stripped old paint for new paint. I'm thinking that sand blasting it, probably wouldn't be good for it but not sure. I've already done all the legs and other parts now just onto the ring itself. Please fill me in. Thanks

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: ring mount Q

What about using an abrasive like walnut shells, plastic, or soda to take the old paint off as that should not eat into the metal. I assume that bearings and such can be removed.

MilitaryRestoration

ya thats a good idea...I'm just scared that whatever I use will either corrode the bearings and inside slider mechanisms or will end up with a bunch of grit in there and not operate very smoothly...

readyman

Yup, there's a zillion roller bearings in there, and they're packed in grease. Grit would not be good in there. There should be a way to mask the felt seal to keep the grit out, then sand that area carefully after you blast.
BTW It sits 9ft up in the air and you can get away non-perfection up there.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

How about using a needle gun to clean the exposed surfaces before painting, rather than blasting?

My .02,
David Doyle

MilitaryRestoration

Ya i think I've come to decision to buy the felts and then also just hand sand and make best of them instead of taking the risk of blasting them and messing/damaging the roller bearings....thought for now anyway