• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Risks of driving without one drive shaft?

erasedhammer

So I am having my front drive shaft lengthened at a shop, and they said to come pick it up today. Problem is I don't have a vehicle that could carry it, so I would be driving the humvee down there in high lock to pick it up and install it.

I've had to drive in 2 wheel drive once before when my half shaft gave out, but the drive shaft was still connected in that case.

Anything I should be aware of when driving in high lock without the front drive shaft? Seems like it shouldn't be a problem.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I thought high lock activated the front drive shaft.

I think this is a bad idea. I believe you need to use another setting on the transfer case that does not engage front axles, or you can spend $50 and rent a car for cheap and effective insurance against damaging your HMMWV.

MHO-YMMV

erasedhammer

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I thought high lock activated the front drive shaft.

I think this is a bad idea. I believe you need to use another setting on the transfer case that does not engage front axles, or you can spend $50 and rent a car for cheap and effective insurance against damaging your HMMWV.

MHO-YMMV
high lock locks the normally open differential in the transfer case. Theoretically, if there is no front drive shaft, and the transfer case is in high lock, it will drive both front and rear output shafts equally, but since there is no front shaft it will just spin the output flange.

I'm just a little concerned about what happens with the torsen when there is no input shaft (a input load).

bobwire

I have been driving around like that for a couple hundred miles now. I cant see what issue there would be with the front yolk just spinning with no shaft hooked up while in HL.
High Lock is the only way it will work with the front shaft out.

erasedhammer

I have been driving around like that for a couple hundred miles now. I cant see what issue there would be with the front yolk just spinning with no shaft hooked up while in HL.
High Lock is the only way it will work with the front shaft out.
Cool, thats what I thought. Just wanted to see if there were any differences between that and running with a broken half shaft.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the day we would buy M880s with a similar full time transfer case, of course DRMO would bend the rear driveshaft by forklifting, we would pull that and drive home using the front axle only.

MaverickH1

This information is false --> 2006 Hummer H1s with the Duramax had a 2WD position on the transfer case and I believe they still had the same diffs. Free wheeling the front diff didn't seem to be a problem to them. <---- This information is false.

However, it's possible the diffs were different due to TT4 and the mandated ABS systems starting in 1999.

Edited: Because I'm wrong and I should feel bad.

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved some while in service with only one drive shaft. Especially the Brigade S-1's truck when it dropped the rear drive shaft the night before a major exercise.

Action

2006 Hummer H1s with the Duramax had a 2WD position on the transfer case and I believe they still had the same diffs. Free wheeling the front diff didn't seem to be a problem to them.

However, it's possible the diffs were different due to TT4 and the mandated ABS systems starting in 1999.
I don't see the 2wd option on this Alpha shifter???

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/9881752+re0+ar0+st0/0608dp_07_z+2006_hummer_h1_alpha+shifter.jpg

The H1 / HMMWV wasn't designed to be a 2wd vehicle. Some do a mod for that, though.

Last edited:

CRCAWC

My front left CV axle went today and the knuckle popped out of place, tore the boot and the axle contracted. Can't go anywhere in H now. But in HL, that axle doesn't engage and everything seems normal for HL mode. Reverse works fine too in HL mode. Have to drive it a short distance on a muddy dirt road, possibly a few times until I can get the parts in and change it out. Will it cause a problem?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
high lock locks the normally open differential in the transfer case. Theoretically, if there is no front drive shaft, and the transfer case is in high lock, it will drive both front and rear output shafts equally, but since there is no front shaft it will just spin the output flange.

I'm just a little concerned about what happens with the torsen when there is no input shaft (a input load).
That should not be a problem...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My front left CV axle went today and the knuckle popped out of place, tore the boot and the axle contracted. Can't go anywhere in H now. But in HL, that axle doesn't engage and everything seems normal for HL mode. Reverse works fine too in HL mode. Have to drive it a short distance on a muddy dirt road, possibly a few times until I can get the parts in and change it out. Will it cause a problem?
DO not drive it with a bad half shaft, period!! it can "get loose" and do allot of damage

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks