• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RKI question on fuel tank drop, hose replacement

NormB

Terra nova for me.

Have a few days off, weather should be good, got some containers for fuel so I can siphon it off and remove the tank, replace gaskets, hose.

Question is - for someone who's DONE this before - how much 1/4" (and/or 3/8") ID hose will I need for the job? I have a bag of hose clamps, have read and re-read the instructions from appropriate TM (printed them out to follow step-wise), don't see anywhere how much hose.

Was hoping someone could tell me if a 25 foot roll of 1/4" hose would be way too much (up to and including filter, drain cock), but I've been under the tank several times and the steel pipes look like 3/8".

Thanks in advance.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no need to siphon the fuel, just pull the tank plug.
there is not that much rubber hose for the entire fuel system, as it is made up of mostly steel lines.
The hose is 1/4 and 3/8. At the fuel tank lines it only takes about 3-4in of 1/4 and 3/8 from the tank hard lines to the body mounted hard lines. If your hard lines are rusted out, this is the time to replace them...

NormB

Thanks. I will need to siphon as I don't have a rack and a 25 gallon container to catch the flood.

Working my way through 24P-1 adding up hose lengths as I go. It's a lot more than I thought, several feet already.

I figure if I do this just once, for the rest of the time I own the truck I won't be worrying about rotting hoses/leaks.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I will need to siphon as I don't have a rack and a 25 gallon container to catch the flood.

Working my way through 24P-1 adding up hose lengths as I go. It's a lot more than I thought, several feet already.

I figure if I do this just once, for the rest of the time I own the truck I won't be worrying about rotting hoses/leaks.
Just run the truck down on fuel before you start the tank drop...either way, you don't need a lift, I drain tanks once a week it seems.
just buy 15ft of both and you will have plenty left over.

NormB

Am I correct in assuming the tank vents (fore and aft at the filler) shouldn't need to be changed? Only handling fumes, they seem in pretty good condition.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks