• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Speed 900 Series Truck?

olewhiskey

Well just got this new baby, have to put 120 miles north between her and Warner Robins. If I take the Hwy what road speed can a 5 ton Handle on super singles? Its my first recovery for a 5 ton 900. I can also go a two lane all the way back.

Attachments

ARYankee

IIRC from what the speed rating says on the 1400s is 55 mph. Yes, these trucks can come really close to Interstate speeds and it is fairly easy to get it up to those speeds too. I would suggest making sure that the tires are in good shape and I would take it easy at first especially if it is your first time driving. Good luck and nice looking one there!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have abs?

45mph, from the sticker on the door! TM

There are a few other threads on this topic.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is a 900 series? Assuming your avatar is your truck, then you have a 939 series truck.

From the TM,

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you read through the -10 TM?

You'll learn an expensive lesson if you didn't read it, when you backup in low range in the mud.

RTM

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just opened your pic.

Since it has a rear flat tire, I suggest you keep it under 30 mph for the return trip(after inflating it), until you replace it(and any other damaged tires).

chadande

I tried to keep it around 60 on my recovery which it did comfortably. Brand new XZLs on mine.
Speedo reads a little slow so I was using the GPS as a speedometer. Just watch any downhill grades, I got the feeling it would reach unsafe speeds pretty quickly.

In case you didn't see this in my recovery post:

http://youtu.be/6FyLZ_tw7xs

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had them up to 65 mph for brief moments...they'll do it...but I agree with the poster regarding the rated speed for the tires. I try not to exceed 57 mph.

commandojeff

I keep mine at 55 with the 14.00s. It seems to really like that speed. It cruises right along. When I first drove it I kept it around 40-45 until I got used to it. I like to build up some speed on a downhill to get up an uphill without losing a lot of speed. Be careful on downhills though. I get a weird feeling on downhills and feel like the truck gets squirrely. Not that it actually does, but you get a feeling that you shouldn't be going that fast. With a load I bet it would feel much much smoother. Something about bouncing around on the highway just doesn't feel right. Keep it slow.

olewhiskey

Thanks for all your input, when I did my last recovery(224 miles) in a M35a3 in November it kept wanting to run 63-65(GPS) and pulled like a champ up hill. Thats a bit over what I like to run them but this truck must have been turned up and got great mileage. You have all convinced me to take the back two lanes and keep the speed down. I think the rear tire is just underinfalted from sitting but if it looks squirrel y I am bringing a spare off a buddys truck thats newer.:driver:

91W350

Those tires do not take sitting flat very well, the sidewalls go quickly. If my place was on your way to recovery, I would loan you a spare or two. We do not air up flats or remove them from the trucks. I do not want to encourage anybody to get hurt.

camp9

Wow, 65 in a A3, must be turned up. I drove my 931a2 home over 300 miles yesterday pulling a little trailer and had a hard time keeping it a 55 to 58. The peddle past 45 was hard, very stiff. I have to check it today and see what was holding it back.