• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Test & Pics of M52A2

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to take a close look at the 68 M52A2 today. Drove it for about 30 min. Really like the power steering, early style. Rides nice too. Brakes are missing one adjuster although owner has a new one. Direct drive transmission, shifts perfect. Good clutch. Engine while driving at steady throtle seems to miss a little.

Tachograph - Tach works, speedo does not (don't know how many miles or hours on tractor), clock had an arm fall off (is in gauge). All other gauges good, 60 lbs oil while driving, 30 at idle. Ran pretty cool. Two springer seats.

The bed on the back was installed by previous owner. It's a dump bed with it's ram, though not conected to anything. No welding was done on frame to install dump bed. Frame not compromised. The tractor still has all its tractor goodies installed and functional including pogo. Owner has ramps, 5th wheel & porch diamond plates.

2 new batteries, 2 new front tires. All in all a sweet tractor. Have gentleman's agreement with owner for 1st right of refusal while decision is made.

Price - $4500.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's the non overdrive early (gasser) 5 speed?

Other than that, it sounds good. If I bought it, I would convert it to OD for highway cruising.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's worth it. Having the 5th wheel and parts is a real plus too. The direct tranny is the correct one for the multi M52. The axle ratio is 6.44 instead of 6.72 like the M35's. So you'll be able to do 55MPH with the 11.00-20 tires.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks like a nice truck, I would say its worth it and I'll help offset the cost by buying the scissor lift/dump cylinder from you, maybe the bed too!

westfolk

Buy it. It's a little more than I just paid for mine.......but in a hella lot better condition. You have the means it's justified. That's my 2 penny's worth.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there an OD transmission available for the M52A2 or are they all direct drive (DD) 5th. I'm now thinking that if this tractor can do 55 with the DD trans in it, that's fine with me. Want to keep it "as is".

Knucklehead

I have a 5spd OD unit that I am placing in my M52A2. It is from an 800 series 5T. It is the exact same case as the direct, just the internals are different. The A1 Mack powered 5T also has the OD tranny.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OD trans came in the 800 series trucks with the 250 NDC engine. The bellhousing looks the same , And i think it would work. I was thinking of putting one in mine so i could run 60MPH when bobtailing. I don't think the multi has enough power to run in OD while loaded. The direct drive tranny has a lower 1st gear and the raito's are closer.
DD tranny
1st 7.31
2nd 4.08
3rd 2.41
4th 1.43
5th 1.00 to 1

OD tranny
1st 6.07
2nd 3.40
3rd 1.79
4th 1.00
5th .78 to 1.00
If your going to work your truck the orignal tranny is the better choice IMHO.

L7

if you decide to convert to a tractor and get rid of the funky bed,....i'll buy the tailgate...maybe the bows. thats TKs former truck via GH.....there is no mistaking that, there is only one like it.
pm me if you decide to take that course.