• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip 2083 Miles I-70 & I-80 Need Support

markmontana

I pulled the plug on the 'looong' ride today. All that hype and big talk! Geez, my bad.

Anyway, long story- short: I had a gut feeling today, about an hour or so before I was to blast off, that a little electrical glitch might cause a problem along the way. I don't feel it would be fair to impose a roadside rescue for a problem that I knew about and couldn't resolve. Normally I would just take off and worry about it later, but maybe I'm getting too old for excess drama.

The guys that were helping were great and I can't say enough about them or thank them enough, but my faith in humans went up a bunch, and I have some more people I can now call 'friends'. You know who you are and I hope I can repay you.

The 'glitch' seems simple enough, but stumped me. The turn signals became erratic and then quit working. And no brake lights. Bulbs would light up when the turn lever went left or right, but not flash (blink). For a while we could jiggle the wires coming out of the turn lever housing and the blinkers would be ok for a bit.

The lack of brake light for a cross country trip would be nuts (IMO). Turn signals I could live without. And to top it off, if the engine was running and you moved the wires around to try to get the blinkers to work- the engine would stop.

Of course we changed both the turn levers and the box on the firewall- no fix. Other than that, the truck was ready to roll out. I'm still thinking I should jump in and take off... but I'm in the airport.

Again, I apologize for the false alarm, but I will come up with another crazy idea to make up for it... and soon I hope.

lonegunman

I did a cross country road trip to recover my deuce, if the truck is up to the task it is an adventure. I drove I-80 for part of it and it is a decent road. If you can try again and get the truck home you might have a real adventure.

It was a killer solo trip, if I had more time and a travel partner it would not have been a hard trip.

I got a suggestion to go for an hour or two of driving locally before starting the road trip to sort the truck out. That was a good idea. I also had a good service and overall condition check from the local Cat dealer, it was worth every penny. A clean bill of health and off I went.

Plan on going slower than expected and plan on a sore butt,,lol. Don't push the truck to the redline to make time and things won't break, that's my theory.

Total cost for the trip with nothing breaking? Less than 1/2 of paying a shipper and the truck actually got here. I was 0 for 3 for finding a realiable shipper on SS and after the last guy turned out to be all BS and no brains, I did it myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks