• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip Calgary Alberta to Vancouver Island M923A2

Snowtiger

Today I am beginning a very long drive that I have waited a long time for. I am finally going to be going home with my M923A2 I haven't owned her for long. I am hoping this goes well I have several mountain ranges to drive through but I am going to give it my best shot. I have read allot of the recovery story's on this site and hopefully am going to have a good story to tell as well. The trip is approx 1000 km and includes a 2 hour ferry ride I will be taking pictures and will post pictures upon successful completion. ( fingers crossed)

PS and if anyone has any tips or advice for me ,it's always appreciated :driver:

JP

oboyjohn

Good luck on your road trip. I would suggest bring fluids, filters, a tool kit, and an empty credit card just in case. Cheers from the eastern side of Canada.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're having an early break-up,.....and I don't mean you and I because the boys would never let that happen.

What I mean is the roads are rough, the fields are muddy and work slows down a bit until she dries up.

I must get to the Regimental Museum in Calgary and we're pushing for a run to the the coastsss so if you're going to break down, do it somewhere nice and I'll use you as the excuse to leave town....anytime except tomorrow and Saturday, when Crashed Ice comes to town.

We did a 100 mile run this morning and the highways are starting to heave like mad. Expansion joints and bridge approaches are rougher than I recall so a guy must stay sharp and "Read the Road" constantly......makes it hard to text and drive properly. Even with my unlimited, limited skill set of strapping loads down, I had a strap come loose. A guys just gotta check the truck and loads more often.
If you're bob-tailing it with a light load, you can call your truck Silver or Black Beauty because she's going to buck.

Did you decide which way you're going? We did the south route, hiway 3 I think in November and it was easy.

If you go through Yoho....ha ha Yoho... say hi to the girls......no uh, get some pictures of that truck with bridges, lakes, rivers and mountains because you'll be telling a story most folks don't have the intestinal fortitude to do.

That said, the escape plan for some of those down hill runs must be known before you go in. Momentum gets ya at a 12 degree grade so if the truck starts to get away, bailing early is the key apparently.

Just make sure your brakes a working at the top of the hill like the rest of the truckers and if you feel better follow them down. A guy can always plant himself into the back of a semi rather than ride it out to the next "Run-off" lane.

Have you run the passes before? There are a few areas where you'll hit ice and the roughest ball like left-overs in the 2 driving tracks. It makes it a miserable trip because it tosses the truck around.....and you're on ice......and it's always at the top of the passes so it's both up-hill and down-hill.

I turned down a haul job to Port Alberni this winter because the pucker factor gets looser when you get old and ya just never know when a little slip at 60mph on a hiway, will make an old guy poop.

All the best, PM me with contact info and a schedule and I can plan a little. We've got support all the way down and back in Revelstoke, Kelowna, Penticton, West Van, Surrey, Powell Liver, Little Fort, Valemont.

Snowtiger

Well this is one of those happy endings, after all was said and done I never had a moments trouble she pulled through all the passes like a champ. Went through Kelowna rush hour and lower vancouver chaos, I know the all mighty was helping. My fuel economy was excellent and there were plenty of curious people every where I stopped. The Rogers pass was rough but these trucks can take it. It's nice to finally have her home. Thank you all for the positive energy I'm sure that helped as well

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks