• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip DFW to Chester IL DEC 26-JAN 9

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today the box was set. The truck was started for the first time in a while. Big smoker at 7 degrees F till it caught and ran. Lots more little details.. The temp was too low to paint so we heated the rattle cans and the hard top so the paint would spray and stick. Someone knocked over a can of Dr Pepper, notice the spill froze instantly to the wood. Check the fit with the oak planks and with the lift gate height. It is perfect and will articulate fully.

Here are some questions about the M818-

This beast does not like the cold weather and takes alot of cranking to start. Normal for the Cummins?

There is/was a problem with an air leak in the fuel system,we think we got it, will know more tomorrow when we go to start it. However, a symptom the engine shows is that when stepping on te throttle, the engine sputters a bit before coming up to RPM. The nature of the problem seems to be more of a delay of power than a loss of power. The problem was noticed by Stan and Brian when the truck was recovered. Could this be an air leak getting sucked into the fuel lines or some other issue maybe with the governor? The truck does come up to speed OK once it gets past this little delay and has plenty of power on the open road.Cummins experts pls. speak up!!

Soon the RADAR will be installed.

Attachments

Last edited:

mckeeranger

Here are some questions about the M818-

This beast does not like the cold weather and takes alot of cranking to start. Normal for the Cummins?

Our M817 has always hated the cold. It was 10 here this morning when I started everything we had. The M35A2 had to think about it for a second, but fired up when I used the manifold heater. The M817 had to crank a while, and I finally hit it with a short shot of ether. It then fired up after a few more turns.

Extra note: Our M817 manifold heater igniter (glow plug) does not work.

That's going to be a tall truck. Looks good.

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what about ether on these? It did start after some cranking maybe 2 minutes total divided into 4-5 sessions) (amazing batteries..) I need to explore NHC-250 threads.. I can check the glow plug for continuity and voltage. I did not note a "whoosh" as mentioned in another thread. I did not find a wiring diagram of the truck in the resources, in case anyone knows where one is..

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK well Jacob had to sleep late so we are going now to Brian's. He is at work days this week and we have many preperatory things to do before he comes home, so that he can do the next steps such as bolting the box on. All work on the beast now is going to be outside.

skidder

Hay Opcom ,My many hats are off to you an your crew:-D cumm. can be a pain in the rear when its real cold,but it sounds like you have a air/vac leak in fuel sys? ck at the pump throtal linkage (shaft) where it goes into the body? I think the old test is eather or carb cleaner ,give it a shot an see if the eng. revs a little?? if it does the o-ring needs replacing HAY JUST MY 3cents worth! LOOKS great !!! send finished pictures skidder

NMC_EXP

No, just popped it out dry. Going back I would grease it up,would have been easier.
I worked at Caterpillar for 30 years - my area of expertise was engineering and manufacturing of rubber parts.

Unless its a rubber part intended to come in contact with petroleum oil or grease (seals and o-rings) do NOT use petroleum based lubes on rubber parts especially things like: engine/trans/cab mounts, grommets, weatherstripping.

Some types of synthetic rubber are designed to resist the effects of oil/fuel/gasoline/grease. These types are used for oil seals and o-rings. Common examples are Viton and nitrile (Buna-N) rubber.

Natural rubber and some synthetic rubber are chemically attacked by petroleum based products - given enough time fuel and oil will literally dissolve some types of rubber.

If you need to lube mounts/grommets/tires use soapy water. Straight water will not work because it beads up and runs off rubber. Soapy water will stick to rubber, is plenty slick, and cleans up easily.

Rubber is about the only thing I know inside and out. I'd be glad to help anyone on SS who has questions - just send a PM.

Regards

Jim

p.s. - Don't rubber the wrong way.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today while Brian was at work, Jacob and I gutted the nasty old hillbilly style cabinets in the box (hard to believe the military did that work!), connected the lift gate power lead, installed the generator set ground and cranking cables, installed the hard top with new bolts and a bead of silicon sealer on the back surface (previously it was just sitting there for the picture), and planned out the wiring for the battery equalizer as well as found the connectors, also ordered some bolts for the shelter mounting. The plan is to use the proper springs and clamps to mount the shelter so I gave the spring and bushings a good wire brushing.

The M818 has a rail riveted on each side of its frame that was used to mount the 5th wheel. The rail is flush with the frame and is several feet in length. This will serve as the lower set of brackets for some of the clamps. The rearmost clamp on each side will be welded to the frame extension. We have therefore cleaned up the original 109 box mounting springs and bushings and will reuse them.
Here are the notes on the new bolts to be used when the box sits on a 3.5" tall stack of planks on an M818 chassis: The bolts with the 5/8" shanks will be 10" long and the bolts with the 1/2" shanks will be 12" long. This basically adds 2.5+ inches to the bolt length. We have ordered grade 8 fine thread bolts as that was what was used originally. Grade 8 locking nuts will also be used. This hardware had to come from Indianapolis.

So far, the only delay has been the 109 box when delivery was 4 days late because the commercial wrecker we needed was not available (no fault of the driver, just busy). This has put us behind schedule but we are working long hours to catch up. We were unable to judge the bolt length and pre-order, so the bolts not being in stock is also a delay. The days have been getting colder; it was a high of 10 degrees today. Once the sun goes down and the wind picks up, it becomes very difficult to work outside.

The main annoyance so far is that the gentleman we got the box from said previously it was in good shape with only a little rust when in fact it has numerous rusty places and a few holes. I suppose he meant that the holes in it were properly shaped. Or, perhaps that it was in good shape compared to the rusted hulk next to it. Oh well one mans trash is another mans treasure I suppose. It's not that bad really, I just did not expect to find such a big hole! This can all be repaired, will be done later as time constraints have prioritized certain actions. To clarify, I do not indicate any dishonesty, as he did keep to his word and kept it for us. There was a difference of opinion on the condition.

Of note, an interesting floor repair had been done by the previous owner (the military?) under the forward port cabinet. I have a good picture of the covering, it may be of rhetorical interest.

Attachments

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That boy has been having nothing but troubles as of late.

I hope he's alright, and if he needs anything tell him to call me, I'll do what I can!!!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just talked to him...only for a minute though. He said he was on the other line with Stan, and that Brian should be there soon. He has a heater and said he's ok. I told him if he needs anything to call me.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geez.. I just called Brian and looks like the issue was a vibration and loose wheel, and is broken lug nuts at this point. I figured he would call me to help, but he said he thought I had already turned in. Brian is almost there and will call us if he needs anything else on the scene. So I'll have my phone here for that as well. Chilly night, hope it is just the wheel and all will end well.

54reos_wife

Geez.. I just called Brian and looks like the issue was a vibration and loose wheel, and is broken lug nuts at this point. I figured he would call me to help, but he said he thought I had already turned in. Brian is almost there and will call us if he needs anything else on the scene. So I'll have my phone here for that as well. Chilly night, hope it is just the wheel and all will end well.

The truck is back in one piece again, should be in chester in about an hour!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
till 0730.. MOOOOOHAHAHAHahahahahahaaaaa...

Jacob and I started early, but it was not long before Gimpy and Brian showed up as well as Al. Today the items done were:

Fitting the box mounting bolts and springs, some welding and making of brackets for the box, installing the 12/24volt battery equalizer so that the 'lower' battery won't be discharged when using the lift gate or starting the onboard diesel generating plant. Also starting the construction of the enclosure for the genset. Brian worked mostly on the box mountings and Al and Gimpy worked mosltly on the genset enclosure.

The truck was started, cranked well but still needed ether. Plenty of white smoke, just a cold natured beast.

Attachments

Last edited:

54reo

Patrick, what size and grade bolt is this, doesn't look right somehow..?
The bolt is only a temporary fastener in place until the correct grade 8 bolts arrive tomorrow. The bracket is hanging by the bolt at the time the picture was taken. (i.e. the bracket had not yet been welded in place)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks