• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip from h**...!!!

L999here

Been planning a road trip to VA to pick up an original WW1 wood gun cart purchased by auction....about 750 mi. from home. Wanted to pick up a Bridgeport mill,several M3 tripods, 1K of .50 BMG ammo and a duce engine from Gimpy Rob along the way in OH. Gimpy was able to get engine delivered (...thanks again,Chris) to Morrow,OH at friends place where mill,tripods,etc. were. Started out from Walkerton,IN...just S. of South Bend about 9AM Mon. Dropped off duel axle 12K trailer in Morrow OH about 2:30 and back on road to VA about 4PM. Got to Lexington,VA at 11:30PM,spent night at motel and picked up gun cart about 10AM Tues. Cart fit like a glove between wheel wells of my '89 Ford 350 duelly. Was 58 deg at 11:30AM when start of return trip. Knew I was stretching my luck,as the "storm-of-storms" was coming out of the SW directly across my path home. Clear until #64 in WV when rain started and OK until it started to freeze on windshield and mirrors just N. of Charlestown,WV. Arrived at Morrow,OH about 6PM....going 25-35 MPH all the way,as icy spots on roads. Loaded-up mill and engine...about 5K lbs...in the icy rain..on trailer. Ammo and tripods in truck bed for weight over axle's...about 500 lbs. Left about 9PM...after drying out coat,clothes in dryer...we were soaked...!!! Rain started to freeze on everything,but road was OK from traffic. Got snow-covered road on #74 about 45 mi. SW of Indy and speed down to 25-35 MPH again. Road started to freeze-over with internittent snow and arrived S. of home at 6AM. Roads were all snow-covered,barely passable and drifts of 4-6 ft. everywhere....all secondary roads drifted shut. Blew an inner-rear tire getting out of a drift. Had to leave truck/trailer at local trucking Co. (...thanks to Buck at Midwest Logistics in North Liberty,IN) and could not get home until daughter came to get me there at 11 AM. Total road time....about 43 hrs. and 27 hrs. w/o sleep. Total road miles....about 1,550. Getting all my 'stuff' with one road trip...judge for yourself...LOL. It's 4 deg. w/-10 wind chill now...have to find spare wheel/tire,change it and get the rig home. Next trip...to MO for another WW1 gun cart.....LOL....it never ends.....

91W350

An adventure to record for posterity, you did it safely though and that is what matters most. We need a trip like that once in a while to make us enjoy the easy ones. Glen

AceHigh

Lynn, photographs are required, ya know. :razz:

You were not too far from me on I64, I am about 30 miles S of the Beckley interchange near I77. Good the trip worked out well for you.

M920

Thanks for sharing the good story....could have been my luck! Looks like you got some really cool stuff....hey at least the Gun Cart stayed dry....right? :smile:

Soni

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Glad you made it home ok. The road trips certainly can be a pain, but it looks like you had a good haul. Next time find a sucker, I mean co-pilot that can share driving duties so you can catch a nap once in a while! :cool: rofl

L999here

....whew...!!!

JWaller...email sent with particulars....

Gimmpy....thank you again for your attention to detail and assistance in getting the engine delivered. Saved me an untold amount of grief and time.

Still winding down,as I forgot to take pic's until I had already beat all the ice/snow off the rig and unloaded the mill and engine...by myself. Had to buy a 2-ton shop crane...needed one anyway...and a trailer dolly. Living way out of town you have to fend for yourself,as you cannot just go next door and ask someone for help. Did not get to bed the last two nights until after 1AM just getting this stuff done. I hope you younger guys will be able to get the stuff you need (?)...WANT (LOL) before you are too old to play with 'em.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks