• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

road trip September 23 through possibly October 4

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opcom's SS road trip 2008

The plan is to make these rounds:
Red River Parts & Equipment Co.
Memphis Equipment Co.
Groban Supply, Chicago, IL
Mount Rushmore, SD
Home -Dallas

Options of the Air Force museum and MECI surplus, both in Dayton, were considered. The primary goal is Groban, where several large variacs and rheostats await my removing them from some old gear. Groban was visited last year, and there are many images of that, including a multifuel engine+generator with factory spin on oil filter base assy, in last year's story.

Having fixed the drivers door handle Monday, I left Dallas Tuesday morning. The day has not been without its adventures.

Stopping at Red River in New Boston, TX, I spoke with Blake Callaway, the friendly and helpful salesman. I bought two new windshields. IIRC one of mine was destroyed by a night-flying dragon in a thunderstorm during the 2007 trip. I didn't have time to take pictures at RR, but learned that they will gladly sell to the public, and ship, so in any case their # is 903-547-2226. It was said they supply many of the goods for Memphis Equipment and other dealers. The office is located on the North side of I-30, at exit 206.

On into Arkansas, the Exit 44 truck stop in Prescott is always something different. There's a TA across the highway, but I like the old funky place better. Coffee was free with fuel.

Pulling into a rest stop, I shut 'er down. I went to the head. Upon coming back out, I saw something really bad. There was about 3 gallons of engine oil on the deck, it was just pouring from the engine compartment. I figured that's it, the door handle -was- an omen, and this had just become an adventure.

As it turned out, the pre-post lube pump had done its job well (I recall someone mocked my small pump; well it seems like it's big enough now!). The output hose of the pump had come partway off the barb and sprayed oil all over the port side of the engine and compartment. Some came through the firewall holes and there was a nice puddle on the floor.

I cut off the bad end of the hose, and put it back on with a hose clamp. I'll rebuke the kit manufacturer http://pre-luber.com/ for this mess later, since they firmly said the high-tech high temperature hose could not come off the barb unless cut off. The rest of them will get hose clamps. I already had one on the oil pan fitting, just made sense.

This left a very large mess in the rest stop. I reported the spill to the attendant, since I had no way to clean it up. Speaking of that, some old rich people in a $200K+ motor home towing a 60's ford fairlane pulled in beside me. Of all the places for them to pull in, they stupidly pulled in right on the spill where it had run. I am talking about a good 10x15 area by the time they pulled in. Then the old woman stood there scowling with her mouth hanging open, and the old man was there with the pet dog, some muttly thing, with his mouth open, but working, I could see his jowls moving. It looked like he wanted to say something, but didn't know just what to say. Maybe he was talking to the dog. I said nothing, and ignored them. They both had the typical big round dark glasses that old people wear and looked like the snooty and crabby types. Well if they were not so stupid, they could have picked another slot! I just got in the truck and drove off, since I had finished the repair and reported the spill. I had only 2 gallons of lube oil with me and the truck was still a gallon low, so I had to stop 5 miles down the road and buy some Rotella.
Before I got that far, I saw an Arkansas state police car coming up, and I thought I was going to get pulled over and ticketed for that mess (like the old crabby people might have narced me out or something), but he flew by me and nailed a semi tractor.

So by now it's 6 PM and I see a sign that says "15 minute oil change, exit 121". OK I'm going for that since what I poured in was not diesel lube, and it's about time anyway.

At exit 118 there is a Days in, cheap, has smoking, has wired DSL/ethernet, decent.. Next to it is a Colton's steak house, I reccommend it very much. The mashed potatoes were loaded like a baked potato. The country fried steak is thick and the gravy is good, and the rolls were just out of the oven so hot I could not touch them. There is something else on the menu called an onion tangler. It tastes good but is pure grease and breading, so I don't really reccommend it. It's by no means as bad as the disgusting "chicken stickie" of last year, at least the tangler was edible and had no beak-shaped parts.

Tomorrow, will try to make it to Memphis.

If time permits and the offer's still available, 54reo might have a free pizza for me in Illinois; and I really want to see the telephone line truck he got last year. Also, maccus is near Mt Rushmore, if available, these from this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=24597

I realize it is unannounced short notice, so no issues if it is not convenient. I just need to be at Groban in Chicago NLT 0700 Friday.

More Later. Sleep now.

Attachments

54reo

OPCOM said:
Opcom's SS road trip 2008

If time permits and the offer's still available, 54reo might have a free pizza for me in Illinois; and I really want to see the telephone line truck he got last year.

The offer is always available, so whatever you want, it is my pleasure. We are introducing a new line of Alfredo sauces and would be happy to make some for you if you would like. As all of our menu, it is completely scratch built.

As far as the V17A, I am backing off of that project for a more practical one. It will soon be up for sale.

I will have some more interesting vehicles in the stable for awhile.

Give me a call to firm up the details....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: road trip September 23 through possibly October 4

Hey Patrick, good to see you on the road again! Love reading about your adventures.

Here is some info on the "push-on" fittings, I use them extensively for fuel lines without problem, so far. Note the detail about pushing the cut end of the hose all the way under the yellow ring...don't know about the "water and air" restriction for brass fittings either. Of course, special "push-on" hose required. There may be a temperature de-rating in effect also. (From McMaster Carr)

"Brass Fittings for Push-On Hose

Maximum Pressure: 350 psi @ 72° F
Temperature Range: Not rated
Use with air and water
Vacuum: Not rated
Hose: Push-on hose (see above)
Clamps: Not required

Fittings install easily on the hose without the need for clamps or ferrules—just push fitting into the hose with a steady force until the plastic ring covers the hose end. Made of brass, which has good corrosion resistance but low wear resistance. Fittings are forged or bar stock CA360 and CDA377 brass with a yellow plastic ring. Material meets SAE J476, J512, and J514.
Note: These fittings are to be used only with the push-on hose shown above. They will properly grip push-on hose only when the hose is pushed all the way in, with the cut end of the hose completely concealed by the ring."

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Patrick, if you find yourself in Cincinnati again, let me know. We have many a good eatery and it would be good to see you again.

No.2Diesel

I enjoy reading your roadtrip reports & observations. I fully understand that truckstop/old bag scenario :p

Same thing happened to me except it was My Ply. Val. and it was in a supermarket pkg. lot. After a 6hr. roadtrip I decided to stop at the store in my town before going home. My radiator hose had rotated slightly and the fan belt was cutting into the hose. The slant six dumped antifreeze everywhere and a woman pulled in right next to me and stepped into it and scowled. 8)

Now I'm hungry looking at those biscuits :drool:

Srjeeper

OPCOM, really enjoy your 'Road Trip' stories :wink:

You should try doing one sometime without bringing Mr. Murphy. :?

I think you'd have a much better time. :lol:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mr. Murphy is usually hanging out with wreckerman. I guess Murphy needed a vacation.

Good luck, and keep us updated....

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MACCUS is currently on a recovery and will hopefully be back tomorrow. You really NEED to go there.

lstmate

My suggetion..

Patrick,

Hope you left Mr Murphy at the puddle with the motor home people, sounds like they could use some excitement and adventure.......

If you are at Mt. Rushmore if they are sill doing the night show I highly recommend it!!! It is a night audio and light show..... Might think about stopping to see Crazy Horse Monument they are building while you are in the area, too.

Take care and travel safe!!!!!

reb87

Nebraska

If you are going thru nebraska and need any help, I farm 17miles north of York (interstate 80) I have a nice shop and lots of tools if you need anything.
Ross
402-366-4998 cell

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Nebraska

I sure appreciate the support! I been driving many hours and getting in late, right now I'm in Chicago, and spent 1/2 day at Groban Supply.

But before that, 54reo got me to take a side trip, one I'll never forget. He's supervising the rebuilding of the generators in the Bagnell dam. Since he's on the night shift, I drove straight on in and I can tell you I have seen things most people never see in their lives. I got to the dam maybe 10 PM Wednesday and left around 4AM Thursday. It was thoroughly enjoyable, and I have many many images and good videos.

Noon Thursday I struck out for Chicago. I didn't quite make it, and had to overnight in a Motel 6. It would have been OK, but some idiot smoked in a non smoking space and set off the hotel fire alarm, waking everyone in the hotel at 2AM. Once people found out, they were mad as hornets, even madder than if there had been a fire. The guilty parties were ejected by the police, after being fined handsomely. I got to Chicago about noon, and set to work with the variacs and rheostats. I'll have pics of that if time permits, but for now some insider pics of the work at Barnell Dam. I realize it's not MV content, but this is the most fun I've had in a good while.

I'll know more about what's next on the plate once I finish at Groban tomorrow. Since I was delayed by the oil issue and took some time negotiating the many scenic hills on AR 65 and MO hwy 54, from Conway AR to the dam in MO (Yow what a ride -check that on the terrain map and best have the brakes adjusted and the fuel turned up!) there may not be enough time to make Mt Rushmore, but I can always do it later provided we're both still around. One great thing about our beautiful country, there is always plenty more to see, whether it is the work of God or man.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for keeping us up to date on your trip!

I realize that this is not the time to work on your engine mods, but if the blue hose shown in the image is your pre oiler input, then you are feeding unfiltered oil into the engine oil gallery, which may not be such a good thing....you should be able to use the port below, roughly centered between the filter canisters, which is the pre filter port.

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

Fantastic pics. You must be having a great time...sounds like it from your description. You've driven that far...go see Rushmore! You're also quite right, it's great to see that which man has built, but seeing what God has done is amazing. I love road trips. If 10 meters was open, I'd try and schedule a qso, but alas lol Keep safe Patrick!

Andy

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm afraid Rushmore will have to wait, I'll run out of vacation days before I could get there and back to Dallas. The truck is runing good but it's just too slow to make more than 300 miles a day which averages to about 7 hours of driving taking into account stops and the like. Being saturday night, I'd have exactly 7 days to do it, 2000 mines, so it would be too close for comfort. I'll need a day or two to recover before returning to work. It is not likely I will drive the beast to Groban's again, as I got the large electronics parts I was after. Shipping them would have made their cost prohibitive.

The surplus store was interesting, and also it was a sad day there because Monday, Walter the shop foreman passed away. The fork lift operator was apparently intoxicated Friday.The whole thing was very wierd. I was also after this big 5-pole frankenstien type knife switch, but the operator tried to remove it and buggered up the bolts so now the only way to get it would be to chisel the heads off, not worth it and the cabinet it is on would have to be stood up to do it. Kind of a mess.

I got some rheostats, big ones about 14" diameter, and some small cute ones of 8" diameter. Also got the variacs, variable autotransformers for adjusting voltsge, and these are dual units rated about 15KVA (dual 240V/28 amps).

There are many interesting electrical, hydrauling, pneumatic, and electronic items at Groban Supply and I reccommend them. No pics of what I bought (yet, I was tired after removing them from the demised equipment) but here are some pics of interest to the MV use. I'll try to find something else to do to replace Ruschmore; anyway, getting late..

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
Thanks for keeping us up to date on your trip!

I realize that this is not the time to work on your engine mods, but if the blue hose shown in the image is your pre oiler input, then you are feeding unfiltered oil into the engine oil gallery, which may not be such a good thing....you should be able to use the port below, roughly centered between the filter canisters, which is the pre filter port.
I guess it willhave to be moved. I'm seeing an issue where when the engine's warm, the preluber does not seem to make pressure. The cause does not seem to be the engine, but instead the luber.

Love the report and such OPCOM. RR is a great place to deal with and Blake is a big help. I got alot of pics of his yard and been there many times. They also have a few more yards around there.

Thanks for sharing alot of your trip and such as you go along.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Memphis equipment is really busy these days. Seems they got a huge contract for 5-tons to Morocco and are buying up all the big trucks they can get. I think Morocco is getting the multifuels, and there's another big deal for completely reprocessed 900 series . I was openly told this by several people, so there's no secrets to it. While I was there I took some pictures, here are a few. I also put on new windshields and finally replaced the drivers door hinge.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks