• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

road trip September 23 through possibly October 4

Stonewall

Just a note on the hose that everyone is talking about. What everyone is talking about is originally a product from Parker Hannifin. They call it their Push-Lok and it must be used in conjunction with Parker's 82 series Push-Lok fittings (typically these have a more agressive barb and the yellow ring to help designate them). You can find more information on this hose at www.parker.com under the Hose Products Division. Parker most likely lets McMaster private label this hose and fitting. Also, there are some cheap, foreign copies of this design, but Parker's was the original. The hose has the following ratings

pressure: 300 psi working - 1200 burst (without need for clamps)
temp: 158 F with air , 185 F with water, and -40 to 212 F with oil
colors: gray, red, blue, green, yellow, black

They also make a high temperatue version good to 302 F oil. and another version for up to 200 F water. I would suggest going to Parker's web site and finding what they call a Parker Store in your area. These are Parker distributors that have a retail shop to sell to general public. They have a full line of hydraulic, pneumatic hose, fittings, adapters, the like.

By the way, if the hose geet sort of soft and spongy feeling, the liquid is probably above the temp range for the hose.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hose I'm using (from McMasters) is marked "Thermoid Flex-Loc 300 non-conductive 1/2" I.D. (12 mm) 300 PSI W.P. Made in USA".
My application is fuel so the temp/pressure has not been an issue...not yet anyway..
McMaster Carr sells different grades of this hose and this one is rated for oil also.

The xm757 still has some of the original fuel lines plumbed with these hoses and fittings, some are labeled "Easy Couple" (NSN 2010-825-1096 and NSN 2910-825-1105 for examples).

54reo

Re: RE: Nebraska

OPCOM said:
I sure appreciate the support! I been driving many hours and getting in late, right now I'm in Chicago, and spent 1/2 day at Groban Supply.

But before that, 54reo got me to take a side trip, one I'll never forget. He's supervising the rebuilding of the generators in the Bagnell dam. Since he's on the night shift, I drove straight on in and I can tell you I have seen things most people never see in their lives. I got to the dam maybe 10 PM Wednesday and left around 4AM Thursday. It was thoroughly enjoyable, and I have many many images and good videos.

Noon Thursday I struck out for Chicago. I didn't quite make it, and had to overnight in a Motel 6. It would have been OK, but some idiot smoked in a non smoking space and set off the hotel fire alarm, waking everyone in the hotel at 2AM. Once people found out, they were mad as hornets, even madder than if there had been a fire. The guilty parties were ejected by the police, after being fined handsomely. I got to Chicago about noon, and set to work with the variacs and rheostats. I'll have pics of that if time permits, but for now some insider pics of the work at Barnell Dam. I realize it's not MV content, but this is the most fun I've had in a good while.

I'll know more about what's next on the plate once I finish at Groban tomorrow. Since I was delayed by the oil issue and took some time negotiating the many scenic hills on AR 65 and MO hwy 54, from Conway AR to the dam in MO (Yow what a ride -check that on the terrain map and best have the brakes adjusted and the fuel turned up!) there may not be enough time to make Mt Rushmore, but I can always do it later provided we're both still around. One great thing about our beautiful country, there is always plenty more to see, whether it is the work of God or man.
I'm glad you enjoyed the visit, Patrick! Thanks for the kind words regarding quality of the crew, they appreciated it.

Your timing couldn't have been better, as we had been fighting that shaft for several shifts. The lower rabbitt fit of the shaft to the runner is a .002"-.003" interference, so that combined with the fact that it has not been apart since 1930 made for a difficult removal. All went well, and the shaft is awaiting the torch now. All new components have been built for these two units.

Perhaps on one of your journeys, I will be working on a steamer and can invite you again.

Safe travels.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Nebraska

I wanna know what the deal is with this Morocco B/S. How big is Morocco's Army? Everyone now has contracts to supply Morocco with our used military trucks and gear. I mean really, their mechanized infantry units use camels. Prime movers are elephants. Morocco shouldn't have an army, they are a threat to noone, and noone wants to invade such a pissant country.

All the big iron is going to smelly Morocco....

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what's the deal on the brakes on the 900. It's probably upgrades to readily available parts?? I have no idea. Note the 1/4" thick side plates bolted to the chassis rails on the rebuild unit.

I don't know anything about Morocco. Maybe Morocco Mole and Secret Squirrel are planning a surprise for someone, but I think the end use is commercial/industrial.

So what can be done about the machine shop van? Or the body anyway? It is so cool. I'd trade my M35 complete for a non-rusty one like that running as well, even without the machineworks. The interior of that body rocks. It has alot of potential.
So, this truck in particular was somewhere else before, and now is at M.E. ? What's the story there? M.E. said they were buying all the 5-tons they could get their hands on. For what they charge for a "checked" truck, they could pay a decent price but I'm not privy to any such details.

But take note of this item:
Seen at Turner's Surplus in Texarkana, an opposed-6 tank engine apparently. He says it was found in a container and he didn't realize he had it till he started to move the container. He said he would take $1500 for it. I don't know anything else about it, but as oily as it was, I doubt there is any rusted parts. I did not try to turn it or anything. He said something about maybe scrapping it for the aluminum next month !?!?!!. It has what looks like an injection pump and yet the engine tag says gasoline. I didn't see an ingnition coil, but maybe it looks like something else on this. Some kind of throttle is visible in front of the supercharger. Someone speak up for this thing!!

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According the DDoyle's great big book of military vehicles, that engine will fit a M42A1 DUSTER.

Model: M42A1
Engine:AOSI-895-5
# of cyls: opposed 6
c.i.d.: 895.9
horsepower: 500 @ 2800 rpm
torque: 955 ft/lbs @ 2400
governed speed: 2800

SOMEONE SAVE IT! There are M42 Duster restorers that would love to have that!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the hose, the vendor told me the hose is goodyear some or other, high temp high pressure, made for oil and made for those special fittings. If any yellow rings are missing, it's because they came off, etc. Still, there is no question the end of the hose failed. I have the piece in the truck, will try to take a picture.

In any case I am home now. It seemed harder to tolerate long hours in the truck this time around. Alot of things hurt that didn't hurt much before. Guess I am getting old and decrepit. I made good time though.
left home 9/23 at 1000

304 miles:
arrived at 9/23 1800, Colton's steakhouse, 1929 Landers Dr, Benton, AR - (501) 778-6100‎
departed 9/24 6AM headed to Bagnell Dam, MO

322 miles:
arrived at 2000, stayed till 9/25 0400
departed 9/25 1200 headed to Chicago.

430 miles:
arrived at hotel 9/25 2100. Left at 9/26 0600, arrived at Groiban at 1200 and worked till 1700.
I realize it's only 215 mioes per day but I was tired.
Hotel in Chicago;
Groban supply SAT 9/27 from 0830 to 1300.

247 miles:
at 9/27 1300, Drove to Salem, IL. and got hotel Saturday night. Went to church Sunday morning, then headed out at 9/28 12:30

175 miles:
arrived 9/28 1600, turned up the truck fuel a bit (3 flats) camped out and ate them eggs and sausages at 9/29 0500! Now there is slight smoke under hard acceleration. Max. boost is 9 PSI, max EGT 1100.
Hayti / Portageville KOA, 2824 Missouri State East Outer Road, Portageville, MO 63873 (what? only 175 miles??)

108 miles:
arrived Memphis Equipment 9/29 0800. fiddlefarted around all day... left 9/29 1700

113 miles:
arrived Lonoke, AR, got a motel at 9/30 2030.

343 miles:
Departed 10/1 0800. Decided to do the rest of the way to Texas on Arkansas highway 67. This pased liesurely through many small but reasonably prosperous towns, except the town of Hope. AR. That was the pits, not even an open restaurent in that place, but plenty of liquor stores.. I know Bill Clinton's a weasel, but you would think he would have done "something" for the home town. I found another "chicken stickie" !! They called it chicken on a stick, it was freshly made and pretty good. No beak.. Potato, chicken, pickles, onions, all deep fried. mmmmm good! This was at the Shell station on the west end of downtown. If you have to eat in Hope, eat there. Arrived 10/1 2000 Dallas, Texas. Good to see my cats after a week.

Mileage:
odometer fuel MPG comment/fuel type
34654 0.0 full
34845 25.5 7.5
34916 11.2 6.4
35031 14.0 8.2
35160 18.2 7.1 filled at phillipsburg MO
35318 19.9 7.9
35503 23.3 8.0 put in cheezy and expensive biodiesel 20
35704 29.6 6.8 note crap mileage from biodiesel 20. BP in ILL
35928 27.1 8.3 B11 biodiesel, plus 1 qt. Of non detergent 30-wt.
36081 18.4 8.3
36238 21.7 7.2
36412 23.1 7.5 Hope, AR
36538 14.8 8.5

7.6 AVERAGE MPG

I'll post the link to the image fest soon.

54reo

OPCOM said:
I don't know anything about Morocco. Maybe Morocco Mole and Secret Squirrel are planning a surprise for someone, but I think the end use is commercial/industrial.

So what can be done about the machine shop van? Or the body anyway? It is so cool. I'd trade my M35 complete for a non-rusty one like that running as well, even without the machineworks. The interior of that body rocks. It has alot of potential.
So, this truck in particular was somewhere else before, and now is at M.E. ? What's the story there? M.E. said they were buying all the 5-tons they could get their hands on. For what they charge for a "checked" truck, they could pay a decent price but I'm not privy to any such details.
The shop van came up this past spring on a popular (or unpopular) auction site in MO. I went to preview it for a SS member, and took 80-90 pictures of it. In short, it was a complete, running, truck with a whole lot of new tooling and parts/tires. I mean most of the tooling was still in the wrapper.

It sold for $2200, and I had always wondered who got it.

It was one very nice truck.

BTW...the " Morocco Mole and Secret Squirrel" line is hilarious!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick, Thanks for sharing your trip with us! I really enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your pictures as you travelled. I'm glad your home safe.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Biodiesel will give you less mpg, about 15% or so off your average. The 6.4 mpg must be the mountains in NW AR, I remember going to Jason's place up there and then on to Joplin MO, lots of "hills".

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the hose, the vendor told me the hose is goodyear some or other, high temp high pressure, made for oil and made for those special fittings. If any yellow rings are missing, it's because they came off, etc. Still, there is no question the end of the hose failed. I have the piece in the truck, will try to take a picture.
I use these push-on type fittings for many things and received a mil-spec hose (IP oil supply) with these kind of fittings from Saturn Surplus.
My point is that the ring serves a purpose, the hose end must be installed and seated all the way, so that the ring is no longer loose. It may keep the end of the hose from expanding also, don't know how important that would be.
There are special tools for installing the hose on the fittings and there may also be a question about doing it by hand...
Based on Patrick's experience, I now also add a hose clamp to my "homemade" hoses for critical applications.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all the new members now, I'd like to bring this up again. Anybody with "industrial" experience on the push-on type fittings?
I like them and use them on the 8x8 in particular, which, btw, came to me with fuel lines fitted with these types.
I have concerns about the temperature ratings when used for engine oil and would appreciate any new input...does a hose clamp solve the problem?