• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip to Eglin AFB sometime in the next 2 weeks:end of April to first week of May

Stonepicker1

My son and I will be making a road trip to Eglin AFB, FL in the next two weeks. Depending on the appointment time it could just be me doing the pickup (son does gun shows on the weekend here in Florida)

1200 mile round trip. Picking up around 27 pallets of ammo cans. Trailer will be filled to the max.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

Paid my invoice and gave GL a call just to make sure how many pallets that I won.

Some of the lots didn't say how many pallets in the lot, so I figured it should be around 27 pallets total looking a the lot pictures, wrong...GL rep said a total of 30 pallets.

I might have to take two trailers up there now. 27 pallets was going to be almost impossible to do as it was. No way I can move 30 pallets.

Still have a little time to plan something. Might rent a second trailer from U-haul or ? and have my son drive the other truck.

Stonepicker1

Picked up 20 pallets today, have to make another trip next week for the 10 pallets I had to leave behind.

Truck would not start after we stopped to eat. I put a bag of ice on the injector pump. Took about 4 hours of trying everything to get it started. Up and running now.

Getting on 1-10 east in a few minutes. Stopped aT Walmart to get some things to fix the loose cans on the trailer.

Attachments

FloridaAKM

Fill them with sand & have an up armored house that will be bullet proof. Thats a LOT of ammo cans; nobody in South Florida will be lacking for ammo cans. Drive safely!

Stonepicker1

Made it home yesterday around 2pm. Have to plan another trip next week to get the rest of the cans.

Big thing will be unloading the trailer to make another trip.

We put the 30 cal cans inside the 50 cal cans and then put them inside the "fat" 50 cans to save space. It was a heavy load.

Looks like I was only getting around 8-9 mpg at 65 mph on the way back.

Stonepicker1

My son and I was on our way back to Eglin AFB to pickup the second load of ammo cans Last night.
Made it 3 hours up the road and stopped for fuel.
Had a load noise coming from under the hood. Sound like a bad tensioner bearing. Decided to turn around and play it safe. Got home at 2am.

Troublesooted the noise this afternoon and it was my passenger side alternator pulley bearing that was bad.
At some point when the Seabees had the truck, they replaced the water pump and left a lot of the bolts loose. I figured as I was tearing everything apart( small oil leak from the water pump bolt) I would go ahead and tighten all the bolts up. That's when I noticed the crankshaft pulley was bad.

Replaced everything and truck is ready for the next trip on Tuesday.

Attachments

Stonepicker1

My son and I are making our second trip to Eglin AFB today. We are just getting off I-10, exit 56. Left last night at 8pm and stopped for a 3 hour nap just east of Tallahassee.

Loading the the rest of the ammo cans and heading back home tonight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks