• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roadside Assistance

ltlbo

Does anyone recommend a roadside assistance company that offer plans for the M35A2. During a break down its kind of hard to walk into a local auto parts store and get what is needed so I would like roadside insurance.......Thanks

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might be able to get AAA to cover you if you get the RV or their latest offering, maybe.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's BS. They can handle full sized Class A motorcoaches which are a lot bigger than a Deuce.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a buddy who had paid for the AAA RV class roadside assistance for some years for his M813. When it came time to use it, he called AAA, told them his army truck was broken down and they said he did not have coverage for that size/weight/type of vehicle nor did they offer such a thing. He says the AAA salesman said it would cover a vehicle that size, but the people on the phone when it came time to use it said otherwise. When he looked into it, he had no paperwork or anything that reflected what he thought he had and had been paying for for years.

If the salesman will get you roadside coverage for a vehicle like that, make sure you've got it in writing. Of course, that may not even help if the people on the phone don't believe you...

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems to me that if you try to avoid issues by proper PM and pre-trip inspections, carry appropriate stuff for the most likely problems like tools, extra fuel filters, a serviceable spare, jack/cribbing, etc. and knowledge that comes with experience and TM reading, most issues are manageable. Having a network of buddies, even if they are not into MVs is helpful. Paying it forward helps in this regard.

Then of course is the possible help from folks on this site. It may come in the form of a phone number to call for advice on how to resolve your problem. Or it could be someone on their way as soon as they can. Understandably, this could require patience.

Lastly is to have a fair amount of $$$ available, if it comes to that. Take what you would pay in premiums to a company for roadside assistance and squirrel it away for this purpose.

I have extra trucks and a tow bar, for just such a case.

FormerNewMVGuy

My wife always had AAA, she decided to add me on it. My F350 dual rear wheel broke down one night, pressure reg.went bad. When I explained to the nice lady on the phone what the truck was, she told me they could not handle a truck that big, because it had an aluminum flatbed on it......

So don't count on triple A for anything other than having your car towed.

Jeepsinker

AAA is like insurance companies, they have no problem taking your payments for years but when it comes time to do their job they do their best to wiggle out of their responsibilities so they don't have to put out any money.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My AAA has more than paid for itself over the years. If nothing else towing my Dodge because of the poorly designed front wheel bearings. They towed my truck and RV trailer home after the Haspin Rally this year. They have towed my wife's Jag 102 miles once. She paid for the two miles.

I carry an empty credit card with a high enough limit to tow or trailer my trucks home anywhere in the lower 48.

Maintenance didn't help my Deuce when the crank broke. :-(

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RoadsideMasters.com constantly sends me emails, $350/yr for units 2008 and older. This is for towing, tire, mechanic, winching, everything. Intended for owner operators and small fleets.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When did you maintain your crank, prior to the failure?

My AAA has more than paid for itself over the years. If nothing else towing my Dodge because of the poorly designed front wheel bearings. They towed my truck and RV trailer home after the Haspin Rally this year. They have towed my wife's Jag 102 miles once. She paid for the two miles.

I carry an empty credit card with a high enough limit to tow or trailer my trucks home anywhere in the lower 48.

Maintenance didn't help my Deuce when the crank broke. :-(

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every once in a while I massaged it. Now I'm older and it does not need it as much.

Flyingvan911

AAA has saved me a fortune on tows for our old van. I think that privately owned military vehicles are difficult because so many people have no clue about them.

ralph3162

I have full coverage with roadside assistance through progressive insurance. I have used it twice to get jumped. The first time I used it was in Colorado when I first picked up the truck. it was 25 below zero and sat all night and that morning when I tried to leave it would not start. I thought I was going to need a tow so they sent a Kenworth Wrecker, but the jump with a squirt of ether worked so no need for a tow but if I had needed it they would have been able to do it.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 40 ft Motor Home and am covered for boosts tows and tire changes for about $100 a yr. They will tow you to the closest place that can service your unit. I have not used it that much but I do know some other RV owners that have been towed a long distance. I doubt that they would cover your truck unless you licence it as an RV but you might be able to with just some minor mods. Eddy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks