• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roadtrip DC to Richmond to Atlanta

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Just wanted to give a heads up and find out who will be around this weekend along this round I-95 from Washington DC to Petersburg, VA and then I-85 west to Atlanta? If anyone is along that route and willing to cough it up, I'd appreciate a PM with a phone number just in case I need help.

I haven't done a trip like this in 7 years. My deuce actually did a trip similar to this back when it drove from Fairmont, WV to Ft Gordon, GA in 2002 but I personally wasn't driving it. I will have the deuce, m1061, m1009, and m101 with a chase vehicle all loaded for bear. This is part of my move to Atlanta.

If all goes according to plan, I will be leaving Ft Belvior around 9 pm tomorrow with an old army buddy driving the 1009 and me the deuce and his g/f driving his car. If I run into trouble, I have AAA but doubt I will be able to get them to respond to the deuce with 1061. Want to just be prepared just in case. Intent would be to d/c the trailer and tow each vehicle (deuce then the 1061) separately to the nearest safe haven until I can affect repairs but that would be later next week if something should happen. Main thing would be to get the vehicle to safety.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kevin, you have my number! I'm too far off to help but if you need a part, I can prolly get what you need sent overnight should you have problems.

HeadWizard

Kevin-

I'm taking the same route to Charlotte early am on Sunday. Let me know if you need me to bring anything, parts, tools, whatever, if you break down.

Don

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You've got my # Carnac, but Clinto g/f and I will be heading back from OH on Saturday. Might be a while (Sat night/Sun morn) before I could mount a rescue op.

Otherwise, I have a fuel up deuce that's ready to fly. :driver:

KAISER SOSSE

Carnac,
First of all Thank You for the service you provide.When you are on I-85 south from about South Hill, VA to about Durham, NC .I am about 15 miles south of I-85 on HWY 1 South (just north of Raleigh)which is exit 218 on I-85 (zip 27525).I have a safe place to store a vehicle for you and have an M35a2 that is down (needs a motor) but you would be welcome to borrow any and all parts from it if you needed them.I also have a friend who has a rollback for smaller vehicles (F350 and down) that I sometimes can borrow if he is not using it.For your M35 my towbar will not be here till next week.I will PM my cell # to you.Have a safe trip!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Thanks all. Heading out the door to get everything staged and ready. will not be back on the internet until I get to Atlanta.

THANKS!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
HEY ALL.

I'm back with a lot of drama but luckily nothing MV related.

They guy that was going to drive the CUCV down couldn't at the very, very, very last minute. I was literallyi in the parking lot waiting for him to arrive.

So I had to have the stuff in the CUCV as a priority. Drove it down I-81 instead. PO'd as can be worked in my favor since it kept me awake. Did the trip in about 15 hrs from MD to ATL with loaded 1009 and 101. Total load including vehicle weight was just under 10K so it wasn't that heavy.

Had to stay put until this past Wednesday. Flew out at 6 am and arrived in Dulles only to find they didn't have a shuttle to get me to the truck. Ended up having to do a one way rental. Finally got on the road at 130 pm and arrived home at 1041 the following day. I pulled off a little more with the deuce trip and grabbed some sleep during a rain storm. Also waited 2 hrs for rush hour to end in ATL before venturing in. Overall safe trip and got 16 pallet boxes plus my tools in here on that load (deuce with M1061 trailer). Don't want to even breath what the GVW was on that trip. Truck pulled great. Stopping was better than I expected and was my #1 concern. Still had issues with the ground on my turn signals even after I fixed them (uh supposedly fixed them).

Bottom line is we're here and everyone is safe.

Give me a couple more days to get caught up on unpacking. It's still a mess around here and I just got internet today. I have a house to unpack and be ready to start work on Friday.

Later

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Heck FT, I picked up the arsenal of democracy on the way down from the gun vault at the folks. :-D

And for the record, great-great-grand-dad was 12th NC Cav along with his brother. It was all about freedom and states rights. nuff said on that.

KAISER SOSSE

Glad you had a good trip!! In the south having MULTIPLE Firearms is a requirement!As I was once told by a local Southern "Old Timer"
"The south will rise again only this time it will be a Yankee leading the charge!"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks