• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Robo impact tool

shootiniron

Has anyone had any experience with these 3/4 impact wrenches? I picked one up recently but it appears to be needing parts.The gears inside the nose that turn the anvil are trashed.Wondering if its worth trying to repair it or not.

rwonsala

ROBO IMPACT THE CATOLOG # IS 2011. MANUFACTURED BY AIRCRAFT DYNAMICS, LIMA OHIO. MADE IN USA THE NSN IS 5130-01-370-2264 Call them and they can help you with parts.

airmech3839

I bought a 3/4 impact at Harbor Freight for 99.99 and it works ok as long as you have a big enough hose....3/8's hose is not big enough......doesnt let it hit hard enough....been trying to change a flat at home and only managed to get 3 nuts off had to step up hoses.......1/2'' hoses are hard to find when you need one!!!

DanMartin

:ditto:

Make sure you also use the larger couplers for your 1/2" hose.

I got the 1" impact from HF and the 1" impact socket set as well (it comes with a BUDD socket!) and it works great for me. I have a big shop compressor though...

tcody

The folks at aircraft dynamics are nice to deal with. Give em a call - they should be able to get you the stuff to get your impact tool going again.

M813A1

The nice thing about the Robo Impact is it is electric and you can keep it on the truck for road trips and not need a large compressor around !!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're talking about the 24V robo impact, right? If so, my experience has not been as good as some of those above. I had one and N3UKA (Dave) had one. I tried both. They both seemed to be in working order. However, they could not remove a lug nut from an M105 trailer! That is the only reason I wanted it...to make swapping tires easier as I currently do things the old fashioned way...armstrong style. I quickly sold it and don't have any interest in another. As I said, they appeared to be in working order as they could loosen nuts that were tight, but more loose than the lug nuts, and it could also tighten nuts fine. Heck, I was able to loosen the lug nuts with a breaker bar and a pipe, but the robo wouldn't touch them! You guys can keep them.

Reactions: emr

m38inmaine

I had to order the same parts for mine, expect to pay about $150.00, save yourself some big money and order the bearings elsewhere, they are a common bearing. Mine works great and it's handy being able to hook into the slave cable receptacle.

shootiniron

I talked with the folks at Aircraft Dynamics today and they gave me ballpark of $150 to refurb it so I'll get it off to them this week. They were very polite and seemed not at all bothered with my stupid questions. Overall a good experience which is almost unheard of when a lowly consumer tries to converse with a corporation.

Stalwart

When I needed to move the HEMTT, after doing an axle seal change, and didn't yet have my 600 lb.ft. torque wrench, I used a 1/2" extra long breaker bar until it bent horribly under my 230 lb.. The Robo was able to turn the nuts further 1/4 turn. When I got my torque wrench, I only got another 1/8-1/4 turn before I got the 500 lb. ft for the back lugs. The fronts require 600 and I think I'll use a torque multiplier for those.

That lil Robo is mighty good in my book!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything you can read about the ROBO IMPACT tool says break the nut loose first, with a breaker bar etc. They are to expidite nut / bolt removal not break um loose.
Here is a real good article from those in the know.
I've had real good luck dealing with the manufacturer. Nice people...

http://sill-www.army.mil/famag/2005/JAN_FEB_2005/PAGE33-34.pdf
Man, the easy part is turning the lug nuts after they are loose. The hard part is breaking them loose, at least in my opinion. No way I need to drop the lug wrench and breaker bar to go grab the robo to finish removing the lug nuts. I truly hope guys will tell me my experience was not commonplace...and that the robo impact will handle the removal of lug nuts. I find it hard to believe that a 3/4" impact can't remove a lug nut?!?! An air impact...even a Chinese one...could do so. What is the purpose of carrying around a 24V 3/4" impact to simply help to remove already loose lug nuts. Come on guys...tell me that you have had different experiences than I have had, or else that darn robo impact is worthless. If you are selling one, please tell the potential buyer(s) that they will NOT remove lug nuts and you have to loosen them first by hand. See how quickly you sell the robo impact. I will stand by my initial assessment until someone tells me I am wrong. I do have a small sample to base my conclusions upon, but two robo impacts are probably more than most of you guys have in your samples.

Stalwart

Bruce, it took about 5 seconds apiece to get the lugs on the HEMTT to start to turn with the Robo, I think I can live with that on something that doesn't require a TON of air. Less than two minutes I had all the lugs off on one wheel that were tightened properly by a truck tire shop.

6x6junkie

man i dont know if you guys have new ones or old wore out ones but i bought one of ebay new and it took off all my deuce lugs except one. he has some more if you need one search m35a2 on there you need to idle your truck up a little and have good batteries.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce, it took about 5 seconds apiece to get the lugs on the HEMTT to start to turn with the Robo, I think I can live with that on something that doesn't require a TON of air. Less than two minutes I had all the lugs off on one wheel that were tightened properly by a truck tire shop.
I am not sure what was wrong with the two I was using. They would not even budge a lug nut. Admittedly, it was very, very tight, but it could not touch it. I have a small sample size (N=2) as I mentioned before so, perhaps, there was something wrong with both. I stand corrected and will say that they must be fine if other guys are having good luck. However, I won't be buying another one since I had bad luck with mine and the one I borrowed from a friend.

emr

BKubu, yours was fine i have had new ones up here, One mans lugs are not the same as anothers, I had a truck that they came off also, I could have also done those with a cross wrench, if they are on like most of em they have to be broken first, like said before, they are not supposed to be the end all, and are not, Mine is less than a year old also, I absolutly love it and use it, and would not be with out it, but to be real it is not the most heavy duty tool the windings are the size of a medium grade tool, there is no gear reduction, it is an aid, if it takes your lugs off , all the better , just do not get mad at the tool is it does not, it is not meant to. also, snug em up after putting em on also, That could be very dangerous...

airmech3839

air impact

Man, the easy part is turning the lug nuts after they are loose. The hard part is breaking them loose, at least in my opinion. No way I need to drop the lug wrench and breaker bar to go grab the robo to finish removing the lug nuts. I truly hope guys will tell me my experience was not commonplace...and that the robo impact will handle the removal of lug nuts. I find it hard to believe that a 3/4" impact can't remove a lug nut?!?! An air impact...even a Chinese one...could do so. What is the purpose of carrying around a 24V 3/4" impact to simply help to remove already loose lug nuts. Come on guys...tell me that you have had different experiences than I have had, or else that darn robo impact is worthless. If you are selling one, please tell the potential buyer(s) that they will NOT remove lug nuts and you have to loosen them first by hand. See how quickly you sell the robo impact. I will stand by my initial assessment until someone tells me I am wrong. I do have a small sample to base my conclusions upon, but two robo impacts are probably more than most of you guys have in your samples.

I have a harbor freight 3/4" impact and it is having trouble breaking the nuts loose on my deuce rear outboard tire!!!!! I have 1/2" fittings and hose and a 26gallon, 150psi compressor!!! Someone put these buggers on tight:evil:....three nuts off and three to go....letting air compressor build its air back up before I give it another go.....I even let the nuts soak with silicroil for 2 days prior to change!!! Needless to say I am not impressed!!:-x

onegmjack

I bought one from Ebay,3/4 drive,Can't believe I won it for $47.50 plus $20.00
shipping.Impact will remove rear lugs but will not remove front,without breaking
loose first.I also bought a 3/4 drive torque wrench.What I have read on here,
the torque is 350 ft.lbs.I have four now one 1/2 drive, one with quick connect
and one that doesn't work.I have always used air tools or hand tools.I can see
BKubu point if it won't work what good is it.But mine seems to work fine.
The only reason to have one or air wrench,is a flat or blowout on a front tire.I
don't think they would hold up if you were rotating tire on the Deuce on a daily basis.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks