• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roboimpact question

emr

they are what they are, i never believed they would brake 400ft pounds on a truck that sat for years, and i love mine ,to cool of an accesory not to have, brake em loose, and spin em with the gun thats what the guys here do, spin em back on and give em a hand feel tight, i would not trust an electric gun for that, but for what it is it is awesome...its no one inch air tool , but never was billed to be either...Randy

Pawnshop

The Dewalt 3/4" electric is rated at 300 ftlb and the 1/2" at 345 ftlb, according to Dewalt's website. The Craftsman 1/2" heavy duty air impact delivers 580 ftlb (in reverse I assume), though that is max, I don't know what it would do with whatever CFM of air the gladhand can deliver. For whatever that info is worth:)

aboonski

Lavarok just bought a Roboimpact from and Ebay auction that had issues with one of the brushes and the brush retainer which is cracked and needs replacement. It had been jerry rigged to make it work but had successfully broken one lugnet free before we made a Youtube video of the robotool in use. He also needs to obtain the accessory which keeps the socket on the tool which looks like an O-Ring with a cotter key built into it. Here's a link to the Robotool video we made yesterday:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JCZkc2Y23Q&feature=channel_page[/media]

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a 3/4. It worked OK on the lugs. I rebuilt the axle on one of the 105's completely with it. It does suck the juice out of the batteries with heavy use. I ran the throttle up to 1200 RPM to use it in long stretches. I just sold it on e-bay because I have air on board and the air seemed to work a bit better and no sense toting two big items like that around.

lavarok

I just sold it on e-bay because I have air on board and the air seemed to work a bit better and no sense toting two big items like that around.
You sold it to me!
That is your unit I am testing in the video!

I did find the torque increased when the truck was running.

I will need to order parts to fix the broken pieces or send it to Aircraft Dynamics for repair. I may just send it in so they can recondition the whole thing. It doesn't appear to be a major issue so overall I am still happy with the transaction. However, depending on the repair bill that may change.

aboonski

Wow Ian! Ebay Buyer and Ebay seller together on Steel Soldiers! I still intend to buy one of the Roboimpacts but in the meantime I can use that Dewalt 1/2" impact with adapters to fit the 3/4" budd socket. I can run it off of my NATO outlet with that cheater battery I made but the trick is to use the gear driven lug tool to break the lugs first and tighten them last with the gear drive lug wrench. Until I saw your Robotool in action I had thought they could somehow break the lugs on an M35 loose with no problem. I guess my disappointment with the tool you bought from an Ebay auction was the way someone tried to fix it with a shim of plastic or some other piece of material to keep the brush assembly in place during operation. Very cheesy attempt to fix the problem when a new part was the only answer. I knew by the smell of the armature (after you used the tool) that something just didn't seem right especially when you found the loose screw and washer inside the back cover. The brushes were obviously making only slight contact with the commutator which would account for the burning smell that permeated the air around the tool. When I use my Dewalt 18 volt impact tool to do my Deuce lugs I'll do a video and post it on Youtube for all to see. If you have ay questions about the "cheater battery" go to Youtube and do a search under 18 Volt Dewalt Battery Cheat. I can assure you that the Dewalt impact is in no way near the power (torque) of the Robotool. Aside from using it to quickly back out or thread in the lugs on the M35, it is practically useless for anything other than light-duty applications (i.e., working on lawn mowers or bicycles).

LanceRobson

I have the "Tee" handle M1 tank style tool. I've never used it with the engine running. I break the lugs loose with a Swench manual impact wrench or a long handled 3/4" ratchet wrench. I've never used it to do more than one or two wheels so I can't speak to running the battery down.

I take it on vehicle pick up road trips and it's come in handy. Even though my truck is set up with a 3/8" glad hand air hose for a 3/4" impact tool, I no longer carry the air impact.

Most industrial tool supply houses can get the retaining pin/rings. They seem to run $5-$8 apiece depending on the socket diameter. I got a little sticker shock the last time I replaced all my 3/4" drive retainers.

Lance

emr

look at the size of the windings , the width of the case and U can see that it is not and never has been designed for breaking lug nuts loose, it is great for running them on and off after loosening and then they need to be tightend after that also,I absolutly LOVE mine !! You should feel how tight they should be, this could take practice no one can tell you how to feel it,..it only runs on 24 volt, it would need to be 220 !!!!!! and a bigger winding also.....it would be a miracle gun to be that size and only run on 24 volt , now it could be done but would be... ..bigger...and gear reduction...as for running with the engine off, I am sure U know what happens if the headlights are left on when the truck is off, its the same thing, batteries only hold so much juice, How new are your bats and are they the correct size for your truck?? there are plenty of times that the truck can be off for a quick burst, But u are loading the batts ,and will strain them if you are only running short stops, they may not be getting enough engine time to recharge, then they will sulphate by staying low and your bat life will shorten and then U will say your bats are junk, im just saying because it is as true for me as anyone else, most failures are human error, and they can start in the smallest places, these are the things u need to think about when draining your bats... I agree about electric impacts, the ones that run on 110 are just that weak . it would be quite a tool to run on so little power and do what most think they can, or a commercial suggested they could reality is almost always much different...

Vintage iron

I use a gear reduction lug wrench to break lug nuts. I work for a heavy truck repair shop and we use it all the time. I haven't found a lug nut, it can't remove yet! One thing to remember though, make sure your going the right direction. It will break off a wheel stud!

always wire brush all your hardware and put on anti-seize before re-assembly. You will make road side repairs much easier!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks