• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rocker Reinforcement M998

Rob T.

Hello everybody, my Name is Rob from germany.
I bought a 1987 HMMWV M998 with a 6.5l N.A. engine a few month ago. It runs really great and had no problems so far (Except a small leak on the transfer case when its really cold ). Really a great car. I got a lot of information from this comunity before i purchased my HMMWV. Thank you all for that.
While looking at other cars to get some ideas, i noticed that some cars do have reinforcement plates on the rockers (between front and backdoors) and others do not. Does anybody know why? Does it depent on the year the truck was built? Hope this doesn´t mean that my truck has had some accident, because it has those reinforcement plates. I could not find any information.

Hope you all had great christmasdays and wish you the best for 2023.
Greetings Rob

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum Rob!!
As far as I know all the bodies are the same in that area.
I do not think I have ever seen a factory HMMWV with rocker plates, all I have seen are aftermarket.
BUT there are plenty of knowledgeable folks here with more experience than I have so if I am wrong they will speak up!

BLK HMMWV

Could be a couple of things.
are they steel and about 3/16 of an inch thick?
They made some first gen supplemental armor plates that went along the inside of the trucks from the front footwells down the sides of the trucks.

Newer trucks that had the supplemental aluminum armor plates on the outside had aluminum backing plates in about the same place.

Since you say your truck is a 1987 I would guess that you have the first stuff.
They also made pieces that went on inside of the wheel wells /fenders and a piece that was attached to inside of the tail gate.

royg

To be onest - I do not know if "reinforcement" is the right word for those sheet metal parts.
Here are two pictures. One with, and one without the " reinforcement" (not my car).
Should be clearer with pictures.
Just looking at pics on google I see that piece present on many early bodies from 1985-1989. I haven't seen it on 1990 or newer trucks. I doubt it means anything relative to an accident. Probably just something that evolved along the way. Similar to how some early tailgates featured AM GENERAL embossed but latter tailgates are plain.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be onest - I do not know if "reinforcement" is the right word for those sheet metal parts.
Here are two pictures. One with, and one without the " reinforcement" (not my car).
That is part of a seatbelt upgrade kit part for older trucks...there was kits out there that had that and other
parts....but most people that did the upgrade, left those out.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just looking at pics on google I see that piece present on many early bodies from 1985-1989. I haven't seen it on 1990 or newer trucks. I doubt it means anything relative to an accident. Probably just something that evolved along the way. Similar to how some early tailgates featured AM GENERAL embossed but latter tailgates are plain.
I think the tailgates lost the embossing when the HMMWV began to transition from a support vehicle to a front line vehicle, Uncle Sam does not like brand placement on combat vehicles..

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mine is a 91 M998 and I have those reinforcements. Didn't know it was anything special.

Mark

IMG_0855.JPG

BLK HMMWV

Rob.
Now that I've seen the pictures you posted I'm going to agree with what 86 humv said.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out this thread below from a few years ago
I did some damage on the trail, after the repairs I did install some angle iron, no more issues
Try to find a local shop, they are not too complicated to do
They did save the day on the next trail run, you can see the paint rubbed off

H1 rock sliders.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks