• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rockwell pinion oil seal?

40grit

anyone got a replacement part number for the oil seals on the inputs?
I can't get the chicago rawhide site to cross ref the old rockwell number I found on the seal...

thanks guys

40grit

you talking about parts cross ref down in resources? I see the hub bearings ( inner and outer) but no pinnion stuff...
unless I'm missing it ( wouldn't be the first time, or the last :oops: )

40grit

on a related note, anyone care to verify the timken numbers so I can add them to the cross reference...
I found the following upon disassembly of the input shaft ( Through shaft assembly) of the pinion..
front ( little side away from gear)
outer race(cup) 22720 timken
inner (cone) 22780 timken
rear ( bigger set next to input gear)
cup 29521 timken
cone 29585 timken

If someone can verify those are the proper ones, we can add them to the cross ref list..

40grit

oops,I'm an IDIOT, I looked further down, someone else (nickd) is having the same problem( in differential seal leak)...but they found a replacement...here's the answer...
devilman96 said:
Cool... I've been searching for those sizes!!!

The above seal mentioned by davemccoull is listed by CR in 2 different seal types...

23442 is a single lipped 60X80X10 (ID X OD X W)

The second listing is 23438 which is a double lipped seal 60X80X10.

If you are installing these in pairs DO NOT PUT BOTH IN THE SAME DIRECTION!!! Install the first seal using PN 23438 OR PN 23442 and install the second (outer) seal using PN 23442 ONLY installing it BACKWARDS with a little grease between them. This will allow the outer seal to act as a dust wipe and prevent the shaft from being eaten up!

I would never recommend using PN 23438 in a 2 seal application, being that it is double lipped you end up with 4 seal surfaces ganged up together and you can not face them in opposite directions as needed, the lips will crush and bind... Shaft wear, shaft wear, shaft wear!!!

If you wish to install a single seal rather than using the above mentioned seals in pairs the closest part number (found to date) is a CR 23443 60X80X13MM which is a single lip seal.

Keep posting the PN's and or sizes to things as you find them... I have an XML file that is growing by the day with civilian cross reference part numbers and suppliers.

devilman96

Corp I threw the numbers on my list, it might be a month or two before I get to doing bearings and seals (need EUC for a start!!!) but I will order them and find out if no one does it before.

40grit

Timken29521 matches the memphis equip parts list I got from PO, so I guess we can assume that one is right...
the rest are as read off the takeouts...doesn't look like any shaft work, so they should be right, but I figure someone can verify them against another truck...

davemccoull

Pinion shaft seals

On checking my notes, i found i posted the wrong sizes for these seals, they should be 85 x60 x15. I posted 80x60x15.
The NSN5330-00-1432-8666 P/N 7521241 PN/MFR 570003
Hope i haven,t caused you guys to much hassle, apologies to Devilman,
I use two seals 10mm wide both the same way, as the housing is deep enough to leave agap between them.

devilman96

OK... Not a biggie, it takes a much bigger man to say "oops" out loud than it does to ignore the mistake and go on... Thanks for bringing it up but lets do some damage control and get technical.

Seal and bearing number are listed in the following order... ID/OD/W or technically speaking Shaft/Bore/Width... In looking at CR and Napa they list the following sizes and specs pretty much the same but I will use Napa's catalog for reference because most of us know exactly where a Napa is but the nearest CR distributor might be a little more allusive.

Size--------Type & Style----Lip Code---------Stock#

60X85X8---------CRW1----------R------------23447
60X85X8---------CRW1----------V------------23449
60X85X8---------HMS4-----------R------------23451
60X85X8---------HMSA7---------R------------23452
60X85X10--------HMS4-----------R------------23453
60X85X12--------HMS4----------R------------23454
60X85X13--------HMS46---------R------------23818

Size - Pretty self explanatory ID/OD/W

Type & Style - See 2nd picture below

Lip Code - This is the type of material the seal lip is made out of V stands for Fluoroelastomers which is proably the best "all around" sealing material for compatibly and wear but more expensive to produce Temp range is -40 to 400F. R stands for Nitrlle which the most common seal material used with the widest chemical resistance, temp range is -40 to 225F.

Stock# - Of course the part number.

With all of that said... I still believe any dual seal application should be install with the first seal facing in its normal direction and the second installed backwards so that it acts like a dust seal and allows for expansion and contraction between the 2 seals, pressure will push a seals lip as fluid and heat expand, to much "sealing" and the seals are just forced into the shaft to be chewed up... Also a small amount of grease should be applied between the two.

It is important to also note the lip code design if you are considering this, as shown in the first picture below some seals can not be stacked in any direction due to crushing the seal lips when pressed together. Also some seal types are "double lipped"... This is a great feature but should not be over done by stacking mutable double lipped seals together it creates shaft wear that will damage both the seal and shaft rendering it junk.

If we have the dimensions correct :) I would recommend using 2 of seal part number 23453 as shown below in the first image as seal set HMS4. Or 1 of seal PN 23818 as CR / Napa / Etc does not list a 60X85X15.

Attachments

40grit

I had found a CR 23695 which shows a 2.375" shaft, 3.35" bore and 0.669 wide with a HMSA24 with a V lip code. i wonder how it compares to the above ones...

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did this come out and was there a conversion number for the pinion seals. I am doing my 939 series pinion seals now and would love to call napa with a number. Memphis sent me the wrong seals.