• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ROK M1 Clone

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone sent me this pic a couple of days ago from South Korea.

Look familiar? ;-)

ROK Tank.jpg

steelypip

Turns out it's a K1. If it's a K1A1, it even has the 120MM smoothbore of the M1A1 and Chobham armor. Diesel, not turbine powered. No longer in production. It's about to be replaced by the K2, which has 300 more HP, among other things.

Given that Korea is pretty much the world's shipyard these days, and that they have unpleasant neighbors to the north, it's not surprising that they're using that steel mill and foundry capacity to grow a domestic arms industry, rather than just buy a few toys for parades.

Korean industrial economic policy has generally mimicked the Japanese policy with about a 20 year lag, and the Japanese pretty much have rolled their own anything since about 1970 or so, so it's not too surprising that Korea has been building its own MBTs since 1988. With the way the Chinese have been behaving lately, expect the ROK Navy to put on some muscle soon, as well.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
K1, very common here, K2 is the slightly bigger brother. They also run older versons of the Marine Corps Amphibious Tanks (no clue as to nomenclature) --Might be getting the new and improved versions, unsure. They have similar vehicles to Bradleys as well, but not as tall. Their AVLM is a bit different than ours.

Trucks consist of M715 style ones, small Kia "jeeps" and improved 2.5T and 5T trucks that look like our M800 series but with improvements. They are still running as far back as dueces, M35A2s in some areas.

jatonka

It is great when someone brings up an interesting topic like this and others come on and add information, thank you to all 3 of you. It's pretty nice that ROK is still one of our best allies and not one of our enemies. JT

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks JT

I have a couple other pics from over there. The person that sent will either be going there every couple of months or moving there for a few years. I'm not happy about it either way.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20131103_155027.jpg

Picture I took at ADEX 2013 last weekend.

I REALLY want one of their little jeep things.... those look FUN.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks