• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Role reversal

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost six years ago, the cranetruck began the long haul from OK to VA with the xm757 as shown below. Last Saturday, the 757 was used to tow the cranetruck back after it threw a rod on its journey to its new home.

The 6x6 had a much easier time towing the 8x8 than the other way around as it turned out. The lightweight xm757 (17,000 versus the cranetruck at 24,000 lb or so) is not the best recovery vehicle, but completed the 4 mile haul without complications other than the need to install all drive shafts before making it up a gravel road/hill. I usually have the inter boogie driveshafts removed since not all tires are of the same diameter (not good on paved roads).

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yikes, the motor went away? Was that the one from Brandon or has that not been installed yet?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow...finally threw a rod!? Prolly that very same knocking one???
Sorry to hear that. :(

(If engines had a soul and feelings... it just never wanted to leave "home" and simply took its revenge.......!)

G.

M1075

Great pics, bummer story. The truck only made it 4 miles on the new journey? I guess that is better than 400 miles. I can't believe it has been six years!

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, who would have thunk it? I wouldn't have guessed the crane truck would make a better tow vehicle. Makes sense, but at first look the 757 appears to be a beast. That modified M49 is a sweet truck, too bad about the thrown rod.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yikes, the motor went away? Was that the one from Brandon or has that not been installed yet?
It was the original engine...put many hours on it operating the crane around the yard since returning from CA in 2006, the heavy load did it in when Joe began the trip home to Charleston, WV.
Kenny, your engine is on the bed.

I ended up putting 19,483 miles on the truck/engine and about 1,250 hrs total.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So Bjorn, does this affect the sale of the truck? I'm sure you told them about the the rod and threw in the replacement engine. Will you or the purchaser be repowering the truck there? Oh, not my engine, your engine!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How bad was the knock when it let go and how much worse had it gotten since it began?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How bad was the knock when it let go and how much worse had it gotten since it began?
The knock has been pretty constant, most noticeable at idle. The oil pressure has been very low and unpredictable, never got around to troubleshooting..could be a bad sending unit... I wasn't with the truck when it failed and can't tell that part of the story. We used the crane for hours that same day loading and raising the vehicle for tire work.
Joe was aware of the problem and opted to drive the truck home, but will now tow it. He mentioned a possible Cummins engine replacement and no, Kenny, it does not effect the sale.

Attachments

Last edited:

housemover

I was fully aware of the knock but it wasn't very loud so I gambled on a 190 miles but lost. Now I'll bring her home and put a lds I have in don't want to change the truck to much. The up side is there are very few guys that can say there truck has been towed by a xm757. The story is worth the extra trouble.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That reminds me of the 5 ton wrecker we had in my old NG motor pool. It was a '54 with a gasser motor. We towed that POS more than any other vehicle in the motor pool, and we had a huge motor pool. It was the only gas truck we had, everything else was diesel. (excepting the 880 series pickups.)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I was fully aware of the knock but it wasn't very loud so I gambled on a 190 miles but lost. Now I'll bring her home and put a lds I have in don't want to change the truck to much. The up side is there are very few guys that can say there truck has been towed by a xm757. The story is worth the extra trouble.
Glad to see you know how to "spin" the breakdown!! Also glad to see a member of the site is getting the truck. You will love the LDS.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
AT one time it was suggested that I might DRIVE the CRANE TRUCK to Tims La. rally, guess I would have made it 4 miles. so much for a drive to La.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks