• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Roll Cage for Cab

Aernan

After seeing a couple of rollover pictures I started to get a bit concerned. All the photos I have seen the cab is bent and often times crushed. Has anyone looked into a roll cage or considered adding extra tubing on the outside and possibly making a roof basket (for more storage)?

coachgeo

After seeing a couple of rollover pictures I started to get a bit concerned. All the photos I have seen the cab is bent and often times crushed. Has anyone looked into a roll cage or considered adding extra tubing on the outside and possibly making a roof basket (for more storage)?
I will most likely have a Headache rack/ROP* for sell when I remove the one the fellow I purchased from built. Granted it would be cheaper to have new one built near you then shipping this one. The rack is just behind my cab in my present user image. Was originally going to add a bar, maybe even a section for FOP* to the top of the ROP* to build it up higher a total of about foot above the cab's top along with some Triangulation. Also considered ExoCage on/Around and/or in the cab to match

As was mentioned earlier in another thread... a ROP for these 18,000lbish rigs would have to be one **** of a big chunk of Fabrication to prevent a crush. Less as big lesson a crunch but still that would be no ordinary tube. Then there is the problem of working around the cab lift or upgrading the lift to handle a heavier cab. All this gets complicated quick.

For reasons you describe is why I went with an Ambulance Box for the future upgrade to a camper. I want a camper.... and want a ROP so sorta get both in one swoop cause the Box is strong enough to act a bit as a ROP for the cab. Cab will still get damaged... but not near as much so keeping the passenger/pilot safer. To be honest think I will put Cameras up front and other places then encourage passengers to ride in the box where they can watch where we are going, coming from, or side views, on a view screen, phone or Tablet.

*ROP (roll over protection), FOP (Fall on Protection) ... AKA Tractor/Unimog Lingo

Last edited:

Aernan

I see the protection in your profile picture. That makes sense how it works. It's good to here others are thinking about the issues. I agree that if you want some kind of Exo armor it would both need to be very strong and likely very heavy.

Can you tell me more about how ambulance boxes are constructed. I am planning on building the a rear cabin as camper as well. I see the S-280 shelter is constructed of box aluminum with welded aluminum skin. Others are FRP foam core. RV seem to be wooden beam construction with aluminum skins stapled on.

coachgeo

I see the protection in your profile picture. That makes sense how it works. It's good to here others are thinking about the issues. I agree that if you want some kind of Exo armor it would both need to be very strong and likely very heavy.

Can you tell me more about how ambulance boxes are constructed. I am planning on building the a rear cabin as camper as well. I see the S-280 shelter is constructed of box aluminum with welded aluminum skin. Others are FRP foam core. RV seem to be wooden beam construction with aluminum skins stapled on.
Every Ambo builder is little different. Mine according to manufacture is probably 2x2 aluminum tube frame on one foot center. Since that time they went to same tube on 16 center if I remember correct. Think in a thread where we discussed the ROP I put a pic of an S280 strapped in back of a bed in an FMTV that rolled down hill.... hmm. maybe it was a Steyr (same cab) and it fared fairly well. Tried to find the thread but couldn't sorry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks