• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ROLL CALL: "West Texas Detachment" Identify Yourselves, Please.

Dr.Jay

John, I guess you could say I am an MD of sorts if the abbreviation stands for
Mechanic of Diesels . :mrgreen:

I work for militarytrucks.com, in Liberty Hill, and I also volunteer my time at the Texas Military Forces Museum on Camp Mabry as part of the vehicle maintenance crew.
If you have been out to Mabry to see one of the shows such as the upcoming Muster Day event next weekend 4-21/22. You have seen me. I crew the Museum's M4 Sherman.
Brigadier General John C. L. Scribner Texas Military Forces Museum

:beer:

Jay

droprat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dona Ana, NM

Ever need help? Look me up! Dona Ana, NM.

3 miles north of Las Cruces, NM and about 40 miles north of El Paso, TX.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw the bump ColdWarrior. I have been hiding beneath the rocks (lurking), learning and such. I joined the site, primarily because of these guys like Droprat that hang out at Elephant Butte lake with their deuces and 5 tons. Not being an owner of an MV, I did not feel worthy to stand up and be counted among you. However, as of yesterday, my first EUC was submitted to BC and my bank account tells me I am an owner. Hopefully, my driveway will reflect the same thing soon. I am a few miles SE of El Paso. My truck is currently in Ft. Hood.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw the bump ColdWarrior. I have been hiding beneath the rocks (lurking), learning and such. I joined the site, primarily because of these guys like Droprat that hang out at Elephant Butte lake with their deuces and 5 tons. Not being an owner of an MV, I did not feel worthy to stand up and be counted among you. However, as of yesterday, my first EUC was submitted to BC and my bank account tells me I am an owner. Hopefully, my driveway will reflect the same thing soon. I am a few miles SE of El Paso. My truck is currently in Ft. Hood.
Welcome aboard VPed :grin: Glad you've "come out of the closet". Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Consider yourself "recruited" into the West Texas Detachment. Congratz on your "new-to-you" MV. We shall keep your EUC processing in our prayers. Keep us posted on your recovery schedule and route. Depending on the route you choose between Ft. Hood and your LZ, I may be of assistance if necessary. (San Angelo is along a possible route for you if you so choose.)

What did you win? Deuce? 5-Ton?

Again.... W E L C O M E ! ! !

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks a bunch for the hearty welcome and offer of assistance along the recovery route. I will keep you posted on my plan when I am able to formulate one. I usually cruise I-10 to Junction, then up to Menard and 190. My son and son-in-law are stationed at Hood so I have support at that end.

I won a deuce and intend to tow it on a trailer to minimize surprises along the way. There's an awful lot of nothin twix here n Hood so it is good to have a friend in between.

I am considering another one in Amarillo. There's an awful lot of nothin that way also.

I also have my eyes on an M211 but that one is just a few miles from my house.

I have been reading from some of the sages on this site that this thing is an addiction and didn't believe it but look at me now!!![thumbzup]

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks a bunch for the hearty welcome and offer of assistance along the recovery route. I will keep you posted on my plan when I am able to formulate one. I usually cruise I-10 to Junction, then up to Menard and 190. My son and son-in-law are stationed at Hood so I have support at that end.

I won a deuce and intend to tow it on a trailer to minimize surprises along the way. There's an awful lot of nothin twix here n Hood so it is good to have a friend in between.

I am considering another one in Amarillo. There's an awful lot of nothin that way also.

I have been reading from some of the sages on this site that this thing is an addiction and didn't believe it but look at me now!!![thumbzup]
It IS an ADDICTION ! ... A DISEASE..... It's too late, you're already INFECTED ! ! !

We started with a Deuce - It came with a spare engine-in-a-can and some other parts. The came an M105 Trailer, and then a 26' Box Van Semi-Trailer. Now we're casually shopping for a Tractor to tote the Semi-Trailer..... and so it begins. LOL

820jeep

Addiction is an understatement. Mine statred when I was 4 yrs old. A family friend gave me a WWII Canteen, cup, cover and Belt.
Now I am 47 and have 2 warehouses of Military Surplus and a lot full of MV's.
At one time I had 16 class 3's.
It's like the old potato chip ad, you can't stop with just one.

Maverick1701

If you get one from rillo let me know, Im about an hr or so SE of town on the highway....If you have any issues or want to grab a bite to eat let me know.
Also who are you looking to buy from? bambam (rickey)? (he has A LOT of deuces for sale)

Maverick1701

Hey Maverick, I will be coming thru Memphis mid day Sat., taking the Family to Colorado.
I will make sure I slow down. LOL :driver:
haha sounds good. I wish I was working (going to be in amarillo visiting the girlfriend)..... I would stop and say hi.
Y'all be safe and dont speed through any of the small towns around here....they are ALL speed traps (It makes me glad that I work for the county vs a city)
especially these:
chilicothe
estelline
Memphis
clarendon
claude

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maverick
No, it is not Rickey. For the moment, can everyone please not tell me about any more deuces, I'm already in to deep.

Timothy
Thanks for the offer of support.

And to all of you, I stand ready to help if you need it out Old El Paso way.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BOLO: Medium TowBar in west Texas???

I've got a lead on a "blown-engine Deuce" and may be making an offer on it since I have a spare engine-in-a-can. (It's within 50 miles of my LZ.)

Does anyone in the SS West Texas Detachment have or know of a MEDIUM TOWBAR that could be borrowed to drag the blown-engine-deuce home if I acquire it???

Can arrange to ship it here and then back home - or even SS REDBALL EXPRESS it to San Angelo and back to the owner.

Would even consider purchasing one if it were for sale for a reasonable price.

Thank you :jumpin::driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks