• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ROLL CALL: "West Texas Detachment" Identify Yourselves, Please.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You need young kids that watch Dora the Explorer all the time. They'll teach it to you. Hola, Soy Dora. Boots and I are going to the SS Ga Rally. Do you want to come? Beauno. How do we get to the SS Ga Rally? Who do we call when we need to get somewhere? Beauno you call the Plugger. If there's a place you want to get I can get you there I bet, I'm the plugger, I'm the plugger, I'm the plugger, I'm the plugger. I"M THE PLUGGER. Doesn't quite sound right to change it from map to plugger.

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
O.K, I told some of you I would keep you posted on my Deuce recovery when plans were laid out. Here it is:

I will meet with the GL rep at North Ft. Hood on Friday Morning (8-17-12). I intend to load the deuce on a trailer and sit at my son's place until Sunday morning, visiting. Then it's 190 to Menard, down to Junction, and I-10 to the casa (Tex-Mex or as we call it, Spanglish).

Vick

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
O.K, I told some of you I would keep you posted on my Deuce recovery when plans were laid out. Here it is:

I will meet with the GL rep at North Ft. Hood on Friday Morning (8-17-12). I intend to load the deuce on a trailer and sit at my son's place until Sunday morning, visiting. Then it's 190 to Menard, down to Junction, and I-10 to the casa (Tex-Mex or as we call it, Spanglish).

Vick
Vick -
At your nearest vector you will still be over 60-70 miles from me.
Here's my cell if you need anything (325) 234-2500. I may not be able to do much, but call anyway and maybe I can help coordinate any assistance.
Vaya con Dios!
John

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, John. I will keep your number with me, just in case.

By The Way, I was in Ozona with vehicle problems (not MV) this past week. I was able to get myself out of the jam but I have to say that I met some really cool folks at Otters Diesel repair. They gave me a place to work and we shared beer and company.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, John. I will keep your number with me, just in case.

By The Way, I was in Ozona with vehicle problems (not MV) this past week. I was able to get myself out of the jam but I have to say that I met some really cool folks at Otters Diesel repair. They gave me a place to work and we shared beer and company.
That's good ol' west Texas hospitality for you. There are many good people around here. No one likes to be stranded "in the middle of nowhere", so help is just a blink away.

I once pulled over to take notes when I recieved a phonecall. Before the call was over more than a dozen people had pulled over behind me (one at a time) to see if I needed help.

just three weeks ago I had a similar experience to yours several miles east of Artesia, NM. Seems New Mexico has the same hospitality as west Texas.
:beer:

In fact, :beer:when leaving NM at Hobbs, I took this pic. Seems that The Land Of Enchantment REALLY doesn't want folks to leave them......

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

Vick
I passed Clint, TX yesterday. I was all SOOOO tempted to pull over and take a picture for CLINTO. Just didn't feel like having the obligatory traffic jam pull in behind me for everyone checking to make sure I was alright (LOL).

Oh and consider this my registration for the West Texas Det. Do I get a temporary registration or is registration just registration? The remaining entourage of vehicles has yet to arrive since I'm maintaining a footprint in Atlanta until further notice. The quantity of God, guns and guts oh and MV's may keep me here.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard, CARNAC [thumbzup] Did you just land in El Paso??

Your "registration" is completely voluntary - Permanent or Temporary is your choice, only time will tell. We are more of a haphazard composite unit rather than an organized "Detachment". Distance prevents any real functions or meetings to be practical, but just knowing we are not alone when travelling brings comfort (and a sense of safety in case of emergency). So, "stay" as long as you want.

Ft. Bliss's GL location has some good dry-climate surplus on a regular basis. That alone may be cause for you taking up permanent residency here, huh?

Again, W E L C O M E ! ! !

John

Lee L

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another Midland County member checking in. REAL new to this MV ownership stuff. Managed to get the high bid on a M923A1 out at Hooks. Waiting on the invoice so I can arrange shippment....if anyone has any good contacts for a 500 mile ride for a 5 ton, give me a shout. I do have quite a bit of experience working on heavy equipment, having grown up on a Reeves County ranch where anytime you wanted to use anything from a truck to a dozer, it required several days of work to make it run:) Wife and I were members of our local VFD here for many years and helped keep one of our 5 ton brush trucks running and held together with spit and bailing wire.

Looking foward to getting my beast home soon and seeing exactly what I bought!

Glad to see so many Texas folks here, although I was always told, by my dad and granddad, that you weren't REALLY in West Texas unless you were West of the Pecos River ;)

UASFSS-ColdWarrior, my daughter and her family live in Tom Green County, just North of Christoval...son-in-law is a firefighter/paramedic for SAFD.

I am a retired communications engineer, now running my own consulting company. So if anyone needs any radio type comms help, I'll certianly do what I can!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another Midland County member checking in. REAL new to this MV ownership stuff. Managed to get the high bid on a M923A1 out at Hooks. Waiting on the invoice so I can arrange shippment....if anyone has any good contacts for a 500 mile ride for a 5 ton, give me a shout. I do have quite a bit of experience working on heavy equipment, having grown up on a Reeves County ranch where anytime you wanted to use anything from a truck to a dozer, it required several days of work to make it run:) Wife and I were members of our local VFD here for many years and helped keep one of our 5 ton brush trucks running and held together with spit and bailing wire.

Looking foward to getting my beast home soon and seeing exactly what I bought!

Glad to see so many Texas folks here, although I was always told, by my dad and granddad, that you weren't REALLY in West Texas unless you were West of the Pecos River ;)

UASFSS-ColdWarrior, my daughter and her family live in Tom Green County, just North of Christoval...son-in-law is a firefighter/paramedic for SAFD.

I am a retired communications engineer, now running my own consulting company. So if anyone needs any radio type comms help, I'll certianly do what I can!
Welcome aboard, Lee!

Sounds like we have a lot to talk about with family and friends nearby.

As for your upcoming transport needs....
I'd recommend you create a thread in the TRANSPORTATION forum here. Those subscribe to that sub-forum include several with transport companies/capabilities.

Again,
Welcome aboard!!!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If I can get my dolly and shelter out here, we'd have very, very near a complete battalion level maintenance tool set. Only downside is it would require a hardstand to work on and it'd be nice to be out of the sun. A warehouse would be great.

Thought I would update my status here. Made it to San Antonio, TX from Las Vegas, NV ok. I now reside on Fort Sam Houston and work on base. If anyone needs help, a tow, etc. I am in the areas for the next few years. I have an M109 and a medium towbar.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,

WORST CASE, I have a medium tow bar with the three different sets of feet

the small feet to tow a GPW

the regular feet to tow a CUCV or a deuce/5 ton

the set of feet that are axle clamps

worst case, drop me an email

jim

doolest

Doolest, live in Fort Worth,76123...bought a M105a2 in may 2012 and M923 last week in fort Polk,la....will be keeping these 2 gems at my buddies ranch between quanah and Childress...looking for a shipper to assist in the delivery since I don't have the cdl yet. Was born in the metropolis of Rotan, Tx and my dad lives in Snyder and I have a sister that lives outside of San Angelo...surely with all the west tx connections I qualify to enlist in the detachment!?!?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doolest, live in Fort Worth,76123...bought a M105a2 in may 2012 and M923 last week in fort Polk,la....will be keeping these 2 gems at my buddies ranch between quanah and Childress...looking for a shipper to assist in the delivery since I don't have the cdl yet. Was born in the metropolis of Rotan, Tx and my dad lives in Snyder and I have a sister that lives outside of San Angelo...surely with all the west tx connections I qualify to enlist in the detachment!?!?
W E L C O M E :!:

You are in good company here.

Happy Monday :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks